What do you do with your employees in the cold months

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jlouki01, Dec 16, 2007.

1. jlouki01

jlouki01 LawnSite Senior Member

I grew some last year and took on a few employees. It sucked because some of them came on late in the year.. drought.. blah blah.. it was a slow year for mowing. None the less I will need these guys back next year but most of them have found other jobs.

What can I for these guys over the winter?

I was considering a hold back + a match type of deal to provide them with a small paycheck over the winter, or some sort of performance bonus they can use at the end of the year.

Someone else has to have some insight on this.

2. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Christmas Bonus and unemployment is what I'll be doing.

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I presume by "unemployment," you mean an encouragement to draw unemployment compensation. Am I right? If so, what will be the impact on your workers compensation insurance for next year? You could take a big hit.

I know a man with a small remodeling business. With the kind of work he was doing, he had some slack time during a few Winter months. He laid off some workers, and they drew unemployment payments. The next year, his workers compensation insurance rates skyrocketed. He quickly learned he was better served to keep them on payroll through the slack times, even though they were doing little work, than to bear the brunt of significant increases in the insurance rates.

jlouki ... Is your question relevant any longer? You say the workers have found other jobs, but you need them back. It sounds like they are already gone, so this chapter is already closed. You will need to find new workers for next season.

4. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I fail to see how unemployment insurance would impact a company's worker compensation premium.
    When I was in NE PA for several years I ran a large golf course and we always had seasonal employees who drew unemployment during the three months or so the course cut way back.
    As the GC Superintendent, I saw everything in terms of bills, etc that were submitted for payment and I never saw our workers comp go up.

5. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

He probably meant his unemployment insurance rate. Or if he didn't mean that, He should have meant that.

6. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

clean and fix broken stuff, have them paint your house, clean up repaint organise shops work 6 hrs or so a day. when i say clean equipment in the winter i mean toothbrush tight areas wipe down with wd-40. if you can get any lot clearing jobs.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, completely go over every single machine, as was said, like with a toothbrush. Work those things over to get them in perfect shape, check everything from linkages to zerks to bushings and bearings and grommets and anything you can think of good as you can get it, replace anything and everything that's broken or worn to a point, a total complete maintenance and going over, every single machine.
    Organize parts inventory, I'm bad about this, so using parts helps clear out clutter lol.

Stuff around the house, clean up the shop, just whatever you've been putting off or anything you think could use doing.
    Trucks and cars are certainly includeable, if nothing else just clean them up real good, vacuuming comes to mind, trailer(s) too.

That's what I do, usually spend a good month doing just that, it really makes a difference.