What do you do with your gas?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nherweck, Aug 9, 2006.

1. nherweck

nherweck LawnSite Senior Member

Okay; I sold my 16' trailer, and bought a 12' with a side gate. The side gate means that my racking system (Trailer Mate Pro by Jungle Jim) doesn't work. I am selling the rack,and have purchased a Grid Iron system by Novae. The system will hold 2 trimmers/stick edgers and one back pack blower. Has room for expansion as well. The only problem...no gas rack. I have 2 5-gal gas cans and 2 1-gal gascans I use on a regular basis. For the past two weeks, I've been placing them in my truck bed, but that seems to make them expand more from the heat (maybe I'm imagining it, but the cans definitely seem larger than they were on a racking system). I've been looking at Green Touch's Gas Can Racks for some time now, for about $100, I can lock down ONE 5-gal can, WHAT A RIP?! I've also been looking at Buyers' Gas Can Racks from NorthernTool . Com; they're wanting 50-60+shipping for a gas can rack that holds either 1 5-gal or 2-2.5 gal (I'm assuming I can place two 1-gal instead). So far, that is seeming to be the best deal.

I've also considered getting a small amount of sheet metal and bolting it to the tounge on my trailer, (bolting because I do not know how to operate a welder, nor do I know anyone that can do it for me). Maybe I should go even cheaper and buy plexiglass? Maybe old basketball goal's backboards? Will the plastic/plexiglass material do anything to the gas cans? What about some plywood? With wood though, if ANY gas is spilt on it...it'll just suck it up...making the trailer more flamable than I'd like, hah:rolleyes: .

Do any of you have any recomendations? I'm trying to get this done before the weekend...so please, if you have any info/tips...post them!! Also, any pictures of your gas can set-up would be awesome!!!

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't carry fuel onboard, I fill up everything the night before thou I do have an empty oil bottle I fill with a quart of mix fuel and I also carry a fuel syphon kit just in case.
    Straight gas I don't need during the day, the trimmer likes to run out once in a bit, that's about all there is to it.

3. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know the temperature that gas cans will explode, but we leave them in the enclosed trailer and have never had a problem.

I figure the temp gets up to 130 or so in the trailer.

Get ventless plastic or leave the vent open. They won't expand that way.

4. fellow14

fellow14 LawnSite Member

You might want to get some Military surplus jerry cans and jerry can holders from one of the places on the web or a local army/navy store. They have worked for decades for military. Just a thought.

5. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I only carry mix around. 12 gallons in the Z and 5 in the wb are enough to run for the whole day.

6. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

When I need to carry extra fuel, for trimmers/mowers, I try to keep the jugs/cans under my inverted trash cans. This provides some shade from the sun and the cracks between the trailer floor boards provides some ventilation.

Jim

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

You can drill and bolt some expanded metal to the lower side of the trailer frame in the tounge area where it forms a triangle. and then use ome ratchet straps or other type of hold down material to keep the cans from shifting around.

I would take it a weld shop and have them weld it.... if you schedule it it woudl take no more than an hour of time.... the the shop could problaly weld a lockable lid as well... also remember this will had 50-60lbs of tounge weight. when the cans are full

8. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

Get a tounge toolbox for the tounge of your trailer.

9. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

We had a full-size truck box mounted to the tongue. The cans got hot and didn't breathe well. They inflated like balloons lol.

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

The problem withthe larger truck boxes is they will overhang the frame area and reduce your cornering and backing clearances. If you keep it contained in the triangualr tounge area you wont have those types of problems..

http://www.toolboxes4less.com/delta-tongue-boxes.html
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_19291_19291

I would make something like these out of expanded metal as to eliminate vapor build up. I think a local metal shop or a mechanic with welding skills could do wonders for you....