What do you do with your grass and leafs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Andrew Kovacs, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Andrew Kovacs

Andrew Kovacs LawnSite Member

So for these past two years I have been dumping my stuff on a freinds farm. But hes selling out to a strip mall and I have no idea where to get rid of all the goods. I also like the fact that I can keep track of my own soil for use. any ideas

2. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

I mulch all my properties. Use to bag and take to the dump. Also have a friend with some property that let me dump leaves and clippings when I'm working in his area.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Find another friend:D

MATT

4. pyrocare

pyrocare LawnSite Member

Talk to some of the farmers in your area. I dump all of my grass and leaves at a farmers field that is about 7 miles from my house. I love since it is free:cool: and the farmer loves it since he is putting it on place where he can't get anything to grow at. He says that it works. Once he doesn't want it I have a couple more farmers that are willing to take it.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I do dump on my property and then every month or so I turn over the leafs to promote decomposition on them. Within a years time there is nothing left of them.

Big thing I wanted to remind you guys about is using some leafs and grass clipping as mulch on reapplying on other lawns. You should go to the www.plcaa.org and find out that you shouldn't do it all the time. It is actually unhealthy for the lawn that you are going to compost fertilizer or mulch on.

6. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

Ask another landscaper in your area where he dumps. I dump at a farm, but when its too muddy out, another lco lets me dump at his place usually for free. Its worth a shot. Good luck.

7. jlmac

jlmac LawnSite Member
    from Maine

We dump most of our clipping on the job site. We kindly ask the owner if they want them and where would be a good spot. We explain the benefits of the compost and surprisingly over 50% want the clippings. At least half of these are commercial clients and as long as they don't see the clippings there is no problem.

8. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Well sence it isnt my grass in the first place when I do bag a lawn I leave the bags on the curb for the city to pick up. But even now our city is trying to abolish that service in the next few years. So this is why mulching is just starting too get big around here, although there are just some yards that dont look good mulched and the clippings will have to hauled away......not me !

9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I never have to worry about grass as I always mulch. The leaves are mostly mulched up but on those accounts were it is impractical to mulch the leaves due to the volume they are mulched up and then vacuumed up and disposed of at local farms that want the green matter.

Gravely_Man

10. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

My house is located on a farm. It's 300 acres....