1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What do you do with your old equipment???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ztrx, May 6, 2004.

1. ztrx

ztrx LawnSite Member

I am wondering what the lawn care companies do with their old equipment. Is it better to dispose of your mowers after 2 or 3 years when they have better resale value or do you just run them until they die??
  2. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

You will, perhaps, receive both answers. Some people trade while the unit is two or three years old, some run them till they drop. I tend toward the run them till they drop school of thought. As long as there are no serious problems and the unit is safe I will run a mower until the wheels fall off. There is something to be said for equipment that is reliable and paid for.
  3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

As mentioned you will get a lot of different responses. It all boils down to what you can finically afford to do. I have some equipment that is very old but it works great and I keep using it. I am of the mind set as long as the equipment is reliable, looks good and does a good job why replace it.

4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I find that equipment hits an age where it starts having so many little problems that it's not worth my time and the aggravation to keep running it. But an older machine is also valuable as a backup, so if it's not worth too much cash you might consider parking it and using it for that purpose.

My decision is based more on mental factors than monetary. But anything that keeps me working and not driving to and from dealers for parts and service also makes me money.
  5. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

There is an LCO here that has 11 old mowers collecting dust. I am not sure why he has kept them. He keeps buying new ones. And the other just take up space in his new shop. Some of them are probably too far gone, but a lot of them looked like they could be fixed for $500 - $1000.
  6. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

As a small operation, I'd be inclined to go with Bruce's idea of keeping older equipment for backup. I've pondered refurbishing equipment in the off-season, but as a frame wears out, for instance, things that used to fit into it won't fit snugly and the whole thing will not be worth messing with.

As I purchase new equipment in the future, I may try to stick with one manufacturer for parts interchangeability, assuming that's a worthwhile idea across models. Will the blade bolts on my eXmark metro 36 fit on a Turf Tracer 48? No idea, but some parts are bound to be the same.