What do you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by woodydog, Mar 26, 2005.

1. woodydog

woodydog LawnSite Member

We are the new guys on the block and do not want to undercut the more established LCO's. What do we do to set our prices? Would it be out of line to call our competitors and ask how they bid? $ per hour for mowing, edging, bark mulch replacement etc...? How do you know who you are undercutting etc....?
    Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Thank you.
  2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

you could do a pricing search on here. You could have your competition come and give an estimate on your yard.
  3. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

have some others family members call around and get some estimates ,i personal walk around to all my neighbors who have lawn service and asked them ,at least it gives you a Base to go by
  4. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

You can go down the phone book and call some companys in your area, you can be Joe Homeower looking for some ideas, that's what I did to price metal edging in my area, this way my customers know that's the going price for this as well as mowing......avoid the $15.00 mow job guys, these hurt!! Good luck!!
  5. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Or Better Yet............

Add up your insurance, equipment, GAS, RENT, Salaries...ETC. To determine how much you need to make an hour to BREAK EVEN...to MAKE A PROFIT.

This is the ONLY LOGICAL WAY OF SETTING PRICES. All others are just W.A.G's (Wild @ssed Guesses) and a STUPID WAY TO DO BUSINESS.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have to agree, you need to know what YOUR cost of doing business is.
  7. wally world III

wally world III LawnSite Member

lawn mowing
    < 1/4 acres ~~~~~~~~~ $25
    1/2 acre ~~~~~~~~ $35
    1 acre ~~~~~~~~ $45
    1 1/2 acre ~~~~~~~~ $ 55
    2 acre ~~~~~~~ $ 65
    2 1/2 acre ~~~~~~~~ $ 75
    3 acre ~~~~~~~~~~ $ 85

i'm using Gravely pm 260z 60" cut period......

mulch triple & double ground, red, brown, black cost $ 22/ yd
    express blower $ 19/ yd installed
    i always use express blower......... charge $85 ~~~ $95 /yd

dethatching ~~~~~~~~ $ 20 / k ~~ $ 25/ k

core aeration ~ 5k == $85, 10k == $ 150, then, $12/k after

bed edging ~~~ $1.00 / sqft, new edging $ 1.35 == $ 1.65 / sqft

if, want prices on fertilizer, grass seed, lime, corn gluten meal.
    let me know payup payup payup
  8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i love this approach. ok, you are just starting out, and have a new truck, trailer, mower, etc. UNFORTUNATELY, since you are just starting out, you only have a handful of clients. so, using this pricing method, you'd have to charge roughly $700 an acre.
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

bobby give me a break....$700 an acre. How the heck do you think that you can charge that?? That is why I am getting sick of lowballers. You need to charge a minimum of $800 an acre. D@mn lowerballer! :)
  10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, using grassbusters pricing method (which, btw, is putting the cart b4 the horse) a new commer with equipment and credentials, but not alot of clients, would have to charge outragous fees.