1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what do you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by logan, Sep 28, 2005.

1. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

If you give a price and they say, "how can you charge twice as much as the guy that I am trying to replace?" Do you try to explain why or just say sorry that's my price? We all know that when a customer is shopping around, or is used to a certain price, that when we come in way over, or a little over, what they have in mind that we should be charging, most of the time we don't get that account. Sorry for the run-on sentence.
  2. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Answer: where's your guy now? Usually the answer will be, "oh, he got a real job" or "he's out of buisness" to which you say " and thats why I cost more".

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

This is very hard, hot, dirty work. I want to do as little as possable for as much as possable.
    Re. I would rather do 2 jobs and make $20.00 profit than 10 jobs for $15.00 profit
    Know your costs and price the job so you will make money. Than let the people that don't want to pay for your service pay someone else less.
  4. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I often say simply as they start the game of negotiation, which I don't play...

''ya pay for what you get''....simple.

or ''ya get what you pay for''... which is my favourite.

most say, ok, when can I book you?

it's all a game, learn to enjoy it, it is the basis of survival.

but unlike most of you blokes, I have a very sexy, eye appealing mower which helps a lot! ONLY JOKING! :D
  5. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

"dont replace him then"

"but im not happy" said the customer

"all my customers are happy with me" then i walk away. :waving:
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

then lets quit wasting each others time !
  7. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

Watch out for those funnel web spiders and single ants that can kill you in minutes...you are mowing amongst the highest concentration of poisonous creatures in the world, all one one continent...amazing...
  8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I've never had this problem..

One of you two would be way out of line. Assuming it's him.. I would simply say that I think my price is fair and this is what I need to charge to successfully run my business. Thank you for your time.

Assuming it's you... I'd say the same thing. :) Or haggle a little.. if I wanted the job.
  9. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Dont know how we got past 30 hey Tony! :waving:

You want to see dangerous, you should check out our women! :dizzy: Thats why Tony loves his Fat azzed vomit mulcha so much. Reminds him of his wife! :cool2:
  10. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL ya bugger, I'll tell her you said that!

And she can sort you out at greenx lol.

hey, why do ya think I'm so shy n timid n well behaved.....she is frightening!