1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What do you do?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by P & L Turf, Dec 28, 2005.

1. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious to know what other people do in their off season. Besides plow snow and wait for the warm weather to arrive.:drinkup:
  2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

lift weights and study...:cool:

and wish it was 80 and sunny
  3. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm going to school 2 nights a week for EMT for the voly dept I'm on, take my entire 52" Wb apart clean it and repaint. Get more applicator lic, buy more equipment and work on starting 3 more businesses.
  4. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

I will soon have to go find a temporary job because of Ebay and staying on the computer too much!:D

I have numerous projects to work on around the house but no money during the winter.:cry:

maybe I'll get a few more leaf removal calls..
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I do all my back office type work in the winter....
    Evaluate all the individual accounts, crunch the numbers, do the books, accouting and taxes.

I also used to do a lot of legwork towards signing new commercial sites.
  6. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Plan strategy for next season, i.e. new way to market services, new incentives for customers, wordsmith letters, etc.

Like Envy, crunch #'s, evaluate my business needs, evaluate costs and how to hold and better yet reduce them.

Lift weights, hunt, computer games, time with family and getting home projects done.
  7. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

My whole year has been the off season practically. I am getting a hort. degree and started volunteering (okay for the wrong reason). I might have to break down and get a job if things don't start looking better.
  8. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Well, this week I have spent way to much time on Lawnsite.:dizzy:
  9. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Mudd, I hear ya, me too. I need some work.
  10. DistLawns

DistLawns LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I cant stand to not be buisy. I got a delivery job runnin around from home depot to home depot in my own truck. I make a few buck from dec to mid feb doing that, and it keeps me sain.then I always quit and start getting ready for spring around mid feb.Thats when I start preping my machines and getting the paper work set up. I do alot of bidding and marketing all thu the winter as well.