What do you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jpmako, Apr 6, 2007.

1. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer for whom I have provided services for the last three years. His contract Includes Spring Clean-up, 7 Mos of Maintenance, Fall Clean-up, and a separate contract for Snow Plowing.
    All of my contracts automatically renew each year. He calls me Tuesday night and says that he has not received a contract for this season and wants to discuss a couple of things with me. Wednesday we Drive by his house and the Spring clean-up is done. So naturally I call him Wednesday night. His wife tells me that they got someone else and that they signed a contract with the guy Tuesday night. I proceed to tell her that that sounds great but you have a legally binding contract with my company that automatically renews each year and can only be terminated in writing as it states in the contract. After about 5 mins of arguing with her I ask to speak with her husband. He starts off by saying that he signed a contract with someone else and that he has an obligation to use them. Well again I tell him that's great but you also have contract with me, and you should have read it specifically the parts that say it automatically renews each year, and to terminate it you need to do it in writing. BTW these are the kind of people who would most definitely take me to court if I decided not to show up, and broke my end of the contract. At this point whatever I do would be for the principle of the whole thing. These people have also been through approximately 5 different companies over the last five years. Some of the previous companies I am friends with and they ALL warned me (These people are PITA'S)

What can/would you do in this situation?
    What are my options?

Jason

2. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

drop them hell if they act like this orwho cares plus they are jumpers lookin for the best deal each and every year! later no real money longer term

3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Let them go and consider yourself lucky it ended without them owing $$ to you. If u try to keep them binded to your contract now, do u think it would be something good. Of coarse not. Let them go & dont look back.

4. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

A contract is use less, there is nothing to do but suck it up.

5. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Devils advocate here.

You KNEW they were bad to begin with? You were told by FRIENDS that they were a PITA. You STILL signed them up? How desperate are you for biz? I am not judging but damn, if I had the heads up, I for one wouldn't have taken them as a customer and I sure as hell wouldn't be crying if they dumped me.....especially after FRIENDS have given me the 411 on their history.

Just my .02

6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I agree. Drop it and move on. Not worth the trouble.

7. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Its more trouble than its worth! You lose some you gain some!!

8. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

in your contract how much notice do they have to give you? 30 days? if you take them to court just to allow you to mow for 1 month and then they don't pay. get where I'm going with this? it's not even worth thinking about.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

They come and they go. There is always someone cheaper right down the road. In a year or two, they will find someone even cheaper than him. And I have no doubt that when I say cheaper, I mean cheaper - as in less money in two years than what THEY are getting today. This is known as the lawn industry.

10. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Right or wrong,the time spent on you broke the deal who has the time.