What do you drive and whats your mpg avg loaded and unloaded

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Lovingreen, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Lovingreen

Lovingreen LawnSite Member

Oil hurts these days, Who is making changes in their trucks and equipment and how happy are you with your choice?

2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Drive an 07 Duramax. gets 20mpg highway, 16 in town, 14 pullin. cant complain. get 5 mpg better all around than my cummins did. not hurtin me any. My customers pay for my fuel. So should everyones customers...

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I have an 00 f350 about 11 mpg , an 04 e 250 gets around 8 loaded and just bought an 08 ranger 2.3 gets 29 mpg

4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

04 Dodge Cummins 40-K 17.1 in town. The boss dosen't tow so I don't know what tow mileage is. When the crew had it I think it was around 14. I haven't had it on the highway for over a year so can't speak to that either.

The crew is driving a 04 UD cab over with a 14" dump bed and pulling a 16' enclosed and I think it gets around 12-13 in town.

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

That UD will last forever. Considered the caddilac of the mid weight jap truck class.

6. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

03 Nissan frontier , i get 16 on freeway 14 in town loaded..

7. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

........ha!

8. Lovingreen

Lovingreen LawnSite Member

The duramax wins so far....what else you got?

To texas....tell me more about your truck setup.

9. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

I catch a lot of crap for running older trucks..... but. I've got a 96 F250 with the 7.3 Powerstroke that is my workhorse. 206K miles, and i still get 16-18 running highway empty, pulling my 18' flatbed with a 60" mid z, a 54" stander, a 44" w/b and all the other crap i get average 14.5 highway/city. Plowing snow i go through about $80 worth of fuel, can't remember off the top of my head how many gallons that is, and last time I plowed i was out from 4:30 in the morning till 10:30 that night. Not what texan is getting with his D-max, but i gave $10,000 for this truck 3 years and 60k ago. My 99 powerstroke crew cab dually is about 15-16 average highway/city. I think any of your pre-08 emissions diesel trucks will be your best bet. Sure diesel is higher, but when i would plow with my 460 or 351 powered trucks, I remember several times i paid out well over $100-150 in fuel a year ago, and my route was a lot smaller.

10. GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

'01 Dmax get 16 with about a 3k lb load and 18mpg unloaded. Highway speeds are usually 70-75.

I think the diesel treatments really help mileage. It may not save you money, but it doesn't cost anything either because the fuel savings pays for the additive. With new diesel being so sh*tty, injectors, lift pumps, and other fuel related problems are more common. The additives lube alot better, and get you more mpg's. It costs about $2.25 more per fillup. I'm running Howe's in mine.

Sorry about the off topic additive talk, but figured it would help some people out.