What do you drive????

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Bobcat s250 NY, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Bobcat s250 NY

Bobcat s250 NY Banned
    from texas

Hey guy since i started in this business i was never sure what to drive when i go on my estimates. What do you guys drive? I dont have a pick up truck that i see many guys driving around. I only have my dump, flatbed, and box truck. I have thought to drive my personal car, but didnt know if it would seem un professional. Any thoughts????:gunsfirin

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I use my personal vehicle. It's a Ford Explorer Sport. Not too crappy, not too fancy! I do alot of estimates and I would rather be a little more comfortable while driving, plus it is waaayyy better on gas than any of my trucks.

Chris

3. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

I rent a limo. I think that if the potential customer sees me pull up in a limo, they will think I am successful and, therefore, good at what I do.

Yeah, I have my whole entourage in there: my vendor, foreman, laborers, accountant, etc. Sometimes, Chris from CGLAND makes a guest appearance. It's pretty cool. Expensive, but cool.

Seriously, I use my 1993 F-250 pickup. It has new paint and is respectable, but not even close to fancy. Sometimes, when all of my trucks are in the shop or leaking or not available, I have to use my wife's car, which I don't like to do because it is somewhat fancy.

4. Drafto

Drafto LawnSite Senior Member

I use my truck, which is my only company vehicle, or my wifes Durango. Once I thought about going on an estimate in one of my guy's Cavalier so I could leave my truck with them, I coudn't do it.

I think the way some of us think is funny though. I called a very reputable siding and roof company once for an estimate and didn't think anything of the Subaru Outback the guy pulled up in. But for me? I would never do it, don't know why though? Maybe I wouldn't fit in one.:)

I do like taking the Durango on estimates, besides the cookie crumbs from the kids, it is nice and roomy and neat. I think the SUV approach is more palletable to me.

Dan

5. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

One time I pulled up in my moms landrover discovery (my truck was in the shop) and the guy made a comment like"You shouldn't drive a car that nice, you must be charging too much." Well I DON"T drive a car that nice (1993 f-350) but it pissed me off. What, we can't be successful? Charged that guy a $500.00 a$$hole fee though which made up for itpayup

6. Drafto

Before you say ANYTHING Chris, I know I overused the word "think" in this post.

Dan

7. cgland

GEEZ Dan - I think I'm giving you a complex!.......I think!

Chris

8. cgland

By the way Dan! I thought you drove a Scion? What custom options did you choose? :laugh:

Chris

9. Drafto

Where are your job pictures for this thread?:confused:

10. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

My 1940 Ford Standard pick up truck with flathead Ford 100HP V-8. Straight pipes running up the cab back, oak floor, roll tuck seats, 3 on the floor.

Spoked Ford wheels. No, I don't use Fords for any type of serious work, they cost too much to maintain.