What do you expect of your foreman?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mrusk, Oct 19, 2007.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

After the recent thread about running muliple crews i got to thinking.

What do you expect of your foreman? I am extremly disappointed in my foreman. But maybe i am expecting to much of him. Quality of work is not the issue.

Before i give my thoughts on what a foreman should do i want to here what you guys expect of your foreman.

2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I expect that when I show up to collect on a finsihed job, that there are no concerns unanswered from the client. Everything is taken care of and the client is satiisfied with the work completed. As far as work goes, I have no issues, he works harder than any of the other guys, and won't stop if it starts to rain. He shows up earlier than expected and usually the last to leave the site. I'm happy as you can see.

3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I expect my foreman to know hardscaping in and out, be able to solve problems on the go, be able to interact w/ customers throughout the process, keep his crew members busy all while maintaining a high level of efficiency. They must also have good paperwork skills. (probably one of the most important aspects of a management position.)

Chris

4. mrusk

Chris- What type of paperwork do you have them do. Does anyone make there foreman order the materials, arrange deliveries, etc?

5. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Tell me they are short of a product before they run out, make sure everyone is doing it right, keeps hours of who worked where, instructs newer workers, runs to get materials if needed.

6. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

My foremen fill out daily progress reports and material usage reports. I use these to compare the 'Actuals' w/ my estimate. I usually order the materials, but my foreman will schedule the deliveries based on his progress. This way I know the stuff is right. My formen will also compare/check the delivered material to what I have ordered before it is unloaded. We have turned many a delivery away due to incorrect materials.

Chris

7. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, my Foreman sleeps in his truck if I'm not outside in the morning, and waits for me to give instructions. Its my laborer that cleans the storage shed, empties the truck of tools we wont need, checks the oil in the machines, ect. I don't know how to motivate this guy. When I leave the crew at the job-site, things go very smoothly. I guess I go back to my point in the "2 crews thread" that I need to remove myself from the installation aspect of things.

8. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

You say your dissappointed, why? I'm confused if quality is not the issue then what, does he drink on the job, do drugs, maybe he smells bad, maybe his boot laces are untied while he works? Man if your guy is doing good installs then you got it made. The rest of the stuff should be up to the boss, if a foreman is doing paper work and ordering materials then in my view he may as well just run his own co.

9. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Having been a foreman we have changed things a little since I have "moved up". Anyway our foreman are expected to handle simple issues on their own, interact at least daily with the client to be sure the job is exactly as they expect it, if not he will advise myself or the owner. We will then handle it from there, change orders additions to the contract whatever. He is also responsible to keep the jobsite neat, all materials and garbage policed before leaving for the day and may not have the site in chaos during work, some things cannot be avioded but a disaster is unacceptable no matter what. He is also responsible for plant care instructions on plantings and a job completion form on every job no matter how small. There is a checklist, garbage policed, tags pulled from plant materials, sand well swept, raking done to our standards, etc. This helps ensure a quality product, it's a simple step and since we push for quick turn around on jobs it helps to prevent things from being overlooked. It is not a perfect system. He is made aware of the time he has to complete the job and if he sees a problem coming in on or under time he is expected to mention it so it can be handled. Having said that he responsible to keep his crew efficient and motivated. He is also responsible for the crew log sheet, listing crew members present on the job and hours working, including travel, lunch etc. Lastly he is responsible for a daily DOT check list on whichever truck he drives, normally a 450 utility body. We got a slap fom the DOT early in the season and immediately got things going to be compliant.

10. mrusk

I am disappointed in my foreman because of his lack of leadership ability. He has incredible hardscape experience. However he lacks speed. I think the main reason he lacks speed is because he does not use the help efficently. If he starts a new task, such as cutting wall caps, he will not think a head to what he could have the other guys do besides stand there and watch him.

He just seems to act more like just a skilled worker than a foreman. Not what i expect for 20 bucks a hour. When i am on site and screaming production seems to more then double.