What do you experienced contractors do in the winter & fall?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by AdamCByrd, Jul 24, 2005.

1. AdamCByrd

AdamCByrd LawnSite Member

I am just getting started in full-time lawn and landscape maintenance. I have over 30 commercial maintenance accounts (50/50 residential / commercial) that require weeding, blowing, trimming, and pruning 12 months a year. However, these jobs aren't enough to pay my bills in the fall and winter after I stop mowing.

Can ya'll please give me some ideas of services to provide in the fall and winter so that I can stay busy?

For example, would any of you recommend me investing in a leaf / debris collection system and remove leaves in the fall? Is there any money in that? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Don't take this the wrong way but we are a service that only needed so many months out of the yr. espescially in the north. Its a sellers market in the spring and fall and I will raise my prices during those peak times and do extra work knowing that winter is coming and I'll be taking a few months off. Also we have the option of plowing but I hate that and try to avoid it as much as possable. So my advise is work more in the summer and enjoy the winters

3. AdamCByrd

AdamCByrd LawnSite Member

I know you didn't ask, but just for your reading pleasure, here's what I've got so far (but it isn't enough)

I'll be painting boundary lines in the woods for a large land management company in Mississippi. This might make me $2K this winter.

I am getting into the cattle business with my dad and will have some regular farm work. We pay ourselves $10/hr.

I already mentione in my original post about my commercial / residential landscape maintenance jobs, but they only keep me busy about 8 working days a month.

I'm looking for something to fill in the gaps, and I don't think I'll make enough this summer to let me just ease through the winter, although some more deer hunting time would not be a problem.

4. olderthandirt

from here

it takes time to build a business where you can take a few months off and still have made enough to sustain your life style and put something away for retirement. Around me we do a lot of lawn installations in the fall. The pay is great compared to maintenece, but you could be offering fert if you get lisc.{something you can do this winter} pruning in the fall and early winter is a great money maker. Point out all the potential tree limbs that could cause damage in a storm and sugggest removing them. Its hard for me to give Ideas becaus eof the differnt regions that we live and I'm not familiar with your growing seasons Good Luck and Great Hunting lol

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You mean sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee and answering the phone while you send your guys out, right? :D

6. olderthandirt

from here

Smart azz ol f@rt, You know I don't sit in the kitchen, prefer a softer chair.

7. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Since as Mac has said we live in northern states and you are in the south, our options can be vastly different. Here in the winter we plow snow, salt parking lots etc.These are options available to us but not open to you in the south.
    We do not do it, but the last few years, around here mostly lco’s have started putting up Christmas decorations.Some are very successful at this type endeavor.As Mac said it takes time to build your business, but with time, you will get there.

I wish you Good luck, all the way from chicago

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Well, at least I got the part about sitting around drinking coffee and staying inside with momma, huh...LOL :p

9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

vacation. vacation.. vacation...

10. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

sell christmas trees for a month. it makes pretty good for 4 weeks of work