What do you flush your tanks with?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by walker-talker, Apr 24, 2004.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Last year was the first year I sprayed chemicals. I have a Lesco 200 gallon space saver. I was just wondering what you use to flush your tanks out with...besides water. Do you use that stuff that Lesco sales...I think it's only like $10.

2. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Why do you want to flush your tank?

You should be more concerned with what are you going to do with the water you flushed it out with

If your using the tank for lawn care chemicals (herb & insect ) and you want to wash it out to spray tree & shrub oils or something the herbicide would damage, I just wouldnt take that chance.

No real need to wash the tank, you should be adding fresh water with every fill anyway

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

After posting I did a search where most just rinse with fresh water, so that is what I will do. I was just inquirying about some sort of neutralizer. I ran anti-freeze in it for winter storage.

4. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Flush your spray tank with Nutrisol, this will breakdown any Herbicide and other pesticide residues in the system. As for what to do with the rinsate, I have a storage tank which I pump any rinsate into and then dilute down and use on vegetation control spraying.

5. NCL

NCL LawnSite Member
    from NJ

grassguy, where can you get Nutrisol?

6. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

nutrisol can be had at lesco

we rinse tanks with nutrisol at the end of every season before we rebuild the pumps, just makes me feel better that the guys (should be wearing gloves, but I know dont always) arent sticking their fingers in pesticides. the rinsate gets sprayed onto my lawn

7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Plain amonia works just as good as anything and much cheaper. About a quart for 200 to 500 gal tank. You do need to clean your tank with some herbicides that will cling to the plastic tanks and fittings. Especially when going from herbicide to a pesticide.

8. James Cormier

from Ma

Herbicide to pesticide???

a herbicide is a pesticide

9. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

there are herbicides- these control weeds

there are insecticides- these control insects

there are fungicides- these control disease

they are all pesticides

i wonder if the amonia might be a bit to harsh on rubber parts like O rings in the pump. also amonia is quite toxic...now the rinsate becomes an issue, what do you do with it?

10. James Cormier

from Ma

I use to put RV antifreeze in my tanks, ( dont have them anymore) that way you can just dump it out on the ground, put be carefull cause it can burn turf and when someone sees a lawn truck pumping the tank out onto bare ground, it sometimes it raises some eyebrows.

So I never risnsed tanks out, even at OLd Fox, I never remember risning tanks

I hope he knew a herbicide was a pesticide, and it was just a brain fart.:)