1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What do you folks do when every yard is saturated and no end in sight to the rain?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Jun 28, 2005.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Well, after loading up my equipment this morning and wasting 7 bucks worth of gas driving tp 3 yards I give up. Everyone of them was so saturated that I could not even walk them without bogging down past my ankles. I said the heck with it and came home and unhooked the trailor and Im taking off the rest of the week. The forecast is calling for heavy downpours from today untill Thursday. I will need at least 4 or 5 days of no rain to dry this mess up. Two of the yards are bahai and they were already knee high! Im going to have me one nightmare when I do get started back. In the years Ive been in this biz I have never had this problem before. Ive had to wait few days for some yards to dry but not like this! It has been a long time since it rained like this in June. You could not even cut these yards with a 21 push mower they were so bad. What do you do in these cases? Go on vacation? My wife and twins and her family are in Key West until Sunday and I dont know what to do with all this spare time. Bad thing about it is Im going to lose 500 bucks this week and that would make all my equipment payment and truck payment that will be due next week :angry:
  2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Hope you can stick it out on the truck note a little longer. I've never been quite in that situation. But its times like this when you will be glad if you splurged for the biggest engine on your equipment. . .
  3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

wright a letter explaining that you wont be cutting this week due to the weather. That will apease your clients and keep them from looking for someone that will.
    Next I trim shrubs get all of the odd jobs done that needed to get done. Equiptment maintenance. Bark installs. Clean the garage and trailer.
    You get the drift. Also I will put out more flyers for aeration or other jobs that can be scheduled later in the year.
  4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

stop getting paid by the cut and the money issue wouldn't be a problem. The skips pay for the triple cut you will need when you finally can mow (on the monthly pay system)

You could line trim it assuming 1/4 to 1/3 acre. Anything over that and forget it.

could by a hover mower. They have crappy cut but it would be shorter for when it is dry and you could clean it up then.
  5. QualityLawnCare4u

Two of the yards were and acre and one was 1.5 acres. Hate to weedeat that much yard :D
  6. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

:p lol :D
  7. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

send some of that rain to texas we could use it
  8. QualityLawnCare4u

I would sure like to send you some right now.
  9. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

It's been both ways for us all year......less than 1/2 " of rain in May (record for this area)......then it rained for 12 days in a row in June.......now, no rain for 16 days.............but the heat is getting unbearable.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Or up here too.