What do you gross per day, per crew?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jrs.landscaping, Aug 26, 2012.

1. GreenPro7

GreenPro7 LawnSite Member

Did mowing for years and no where near as profitable as spraying. We average 800-1100 per day per man. That is a normal business day. Profit margin does change with the season depending on what we are spraying but overall it is around the 72% profit margin.

2. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

I sub my spraying but i have heard the same thing. My friend does $125 per man hour on spraying

3. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I can generally crank out $300.00 a day of mowing only. However, 90% of my clients also receive chemicals/fertilizer, and shrub trimming. This bumps it up to $400.00 - $500.00 per day......just me for now.

4. BeachysLawn

BeachysLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

My question for you spray guys is how full is your schedule. If the mowing season is 30 weeks, how many of those weeks are you actually spraying?

The per day numbers look amazing but how does it actually work out when you look at total revenue for the year?

5. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Everyone's overhead will be different. So the real question iwhile much do you want to put in your pocket?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

Around here gross changes a lot with the day. The closer to the end of the week, the better. Here is my info straight from my excel cut sheets.

Tuesday. 3 Man crew $438.00 Gross. 6.5 Hours.

Wednesday 4 Man crew (I work) $1025 Gross 10.5 Hours

Thursday 4 Man crew (I work) $941 Gross 9.5 Hrs

Friday 3 Man crew $733 Gross 9.5 Hrs.

My labor rate is $39 an hour for my guys. Tuesdays I dont make much money. I was thinking about dropping all of the clients, but finding workers woud be tough. Those hours are approx. We usually work between 35 and 40 hrs. If I drop it by 6.5 hours, they might quit looking for more hours. So I figure even thou tuesday isnt a very profitable day, I still make something. I used to have cheaper labor costs, but unreliable guys. Now I pay better and have reliable help. Our route is tight, a tank of diesel in my truck (25 gallons) lasts me a week and a half.

7. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

does anyone on here gross around 3500 just from mowing with a single 3 man crew in a 5 day work week? I gonna try and profit around 2500 per week from mowing alone next year so that way when summer hits and work drys up, i'm still making money, and have stuff to do. does that sound unreasonable to do? my average lawn is 50 dollars, and i hope to keep that for next year by doing flyers in higher end neighborhoods with irrigation and 50 or 65 dollar lawns that i can blow through in 15-20 mins doing an excellent job like i do now. and this would be with a 2 mower setup, a 72 and a 61 both less then 1yr old.

8. muddywater

It is possible. $5k in 5 days with a 3-man crew is possible.

9. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

thank you, thats gotta be a lot acreage being cut to produce those kinda numbers.

10. muddywater

Nope the trick is overpricing smaller lawns and keeping the route tight.