What do you guys charge for bed edging?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by chefcam864, Apr 16, 2014.

1. chefcam864

chefcam864 LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

2. chefcam864

I accidentally posted this with no text. By the time I had it written more than 10 mins had passed. Sorry.

This will be my 3rd season in lawn care, and I'm a small, one man company. Im a full time college student, and this is how I pay the bills. I do this work because I really enjoy it, and it is the best part time income I can make. Plus, it gives me experience running a small company. I focus on maintenance almost exclusively, but have been branching out into fert/weed control. ( I already had insurance on my company, and being a student I could take the applicators exam for $35. I figured why not?)
    Anyways, I gave the long intro so you guys could understand where I'm coming from. A customer asked me about edging his flower beds last week, so I measured them. It came out to about 230 linear feet. I told him I'd do it for $220, and he balked. I thought it was a fair price, but I'm not sure. I'd have to rent a machine for $65 to do it. However, I've been wanting to edge my mother's beds for her, and figured I could kill 2 birds with one stone. Am I way off here? I felt I might have been low, if anything. I try not to lowball, and when I do it's usually out of ignorance. How would you guys price a job like this? Sorry if it's kind of a dumb question, but I've found pricing jobs is one of those things that can be tough.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Spade. No need for a machine
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. chefcam864

I thought about breaking out the edging knife, but I'd rather use the machine so I could do my mothers beds. It'd be a nice surprise with Mother's Day coming up. How would you price it?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. AMW Landscaping

AMW Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a recent thread that might help you out. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=423268 Again i would use a spade. Just charged 80 bucks for 150 feet of edging with a spade. Once you get the hang of it you can do it pretty quickly.

6. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have been at the same price as you.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. chefcam864

In the thread , it seems like they're talking about sidewalks etc. I have a stick edger for that. I'm talking about cutting a trench round the flower beds. I may not have explained it so well.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. AMW Landscaping

AMW Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I got it. Was not sure if they were also talking about bed edging on that thread.

9. Grant11

Grant11 LawnSite Senior Member

I usually go at 70 to 80 cents a foot. I don't think a dollar a foot is uncommon in the industry. Your price isn't bad.

10. chefcam864

I thought if seemed reasonable, but I'd never bid a job like it before and thought I might have been way off
    Posted via Mobile Device