What do you guys charge for this....

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by NewbieNC, Aug 31, 2006.

1. NewbieNC

NewbieNC LawnSite Member

A lady called me and wants some shrubs hauled away....already bagged and everything. Do you guys charge by that bag?? And what do you charge?

2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

it would depend on the volume of the shrubs, how many trips to the dump area, distance to dump site, etc. talking to the customer, you can usually get a feel for how much they are willing to spend. i would try to get my hourly target rate times the amount of time it would take to load, drive, then unload.
    if you can be more specific, it would be easier to give you a set amount.

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, like brendan said. It will vary by the amount, the dump charges and the distance. I can dump an 8' pick up truck bed full of what ever for $20 but I usually double that to cover time and fuel and then add labor if I am working on other stuff for the client. I have done just pick-ups once before. It was 2 pick up loads of prebagged bushes and old plants and such. Final bill came to $120. It cost me $40 to dump the crap, it was 7 miles each way from customers house to dump so it was approx 3 0 miles round trip and it took about an hour and 1/2. Hope that helps!

4. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I Would Say $25 For Upto 10 Bags $40 If I Have To Dump My Truck Per Trip For Shrubs But My Dump Is Only .5 Miles Away From Town

5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I recently did something very similar for a customer. It was a 6x12 trailer load of bagged lawn debris and a little misc. crap. It was just enough to cover the trailer one layer deep. I charged $125 and it cost me $10 to dump it at the city transfer station. I am a regular at the transfer station so I tend to get good prices...they don't go by weight. Total time about 1 1/2 or 2 hours.

6. NewbieNC

NewbieNC LawnSite Member

Oh she's got 15 bags...and is maybe 10 miles away...so 20 round trip. Any thoughts???

7. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

one trip, 20 miles, $75 plus any dump fees.

8. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

:) THERE YOU GO!!!!!!

9. ED'S LAWNCARE

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I advertise hauling and dumping (12ft dump trailer). I don't care if it is one bag or the whole trailer full it's $50.00 for the run plus any labor to load it and dump fees. So far no one balked at the price.

10. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

personally I would charge like $2.00 per mile and any dump fee's. Remember you claim your miles and get paid I think .65 per mile so its a profit there, then charge what ever the dump charges.