1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What do you guys do in the offseason/winter??

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Tapr Lawn Care, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Tapr Lawn Care

Tapr Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Hi, this has been my first year and i made my money back on equipment and such but don't have enough for winter. Just wondered what you lawn care and landscapers did in the winter when the grass can't be tended to. I have a couple people wanting their driveways cleared of snow, would you suggest sinking 2000 bucks in a good snowblower to hook on my john deere, or a push snowblower, or stick with a shovel for this year. I could probably get at least 10 driveways to get me started but is this enough? Should I invest in the winter operations of removing snow, or go get a job??

P.S. the truck I have now shouldn't have a plow attached.

All input is greatly appreciated
  2. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

I plow snow, and Cut firewood. Take any odd job or anything that comes your way to do. Try to find a used snow blower.

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

We do snow removal and firewood. You could check with your local trucking company for P/T work for the holidays (UPS/FED X ROADWAY EXPRESS ECT) the pay is pretty good and some have benfits too. Good luck
  4. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I rest back up by taking a nice long break. Except when I plow snow using my 01 f-350 4x4 with a Boss 8ft v-plow. I don't shovel sidewalks thats what employees are for.
  5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

DITTO...but i do some of the shoveling/snow blowing:)
  6. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

plow snow, drink beer, and hook up with as many girls as possible.. its a great life!!!
  7. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

We work all year round !! Advertise! Advertise! Advertise!
  8. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

If no plowing , then I work for my friend who owns a mobile body repair bussiness that cater to wholesale dealers. Easy work but only pays $11/Hr
  9. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Tapr....your question is two fold. Personally, we are booked through late January right now. When you are starting out its tough until your name gets around. My first winter was real hard financially. I took any kind of work I could get and with the rest of the time, I went and introduced/promoted myself to different contractors that could use my service. I treated each day like a work day....whether I had work or not and did not sit at home. Get out and mingle with potential customers/contractors/wholesale houses/nurseries or whatever. Just keep pluggin' away and something will come of it....
  10. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass