What do you guys do in the offseason/winter??

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Tapr Lawn Care, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Getting Ready for the winter market of snow plowing etc, and working on the big push for next spring season.

For money I work the video production business, writing, producing, directing, shooting, editing and dvd authoring of sales, training videos, etc.

2. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I like this answer ... everyday is a work day. Networking is part of every business, like it or not. And since your business is a professional business, it's presence is very important. The more they see you out there ... your truck if it is lettered or decaled ... and you around town ... the more you are recognized as a part of the business community in your area.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

plow snow and relax

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Try and do both. The size of the equipment should reflect the size of the job. If you're doing a bunch of small driveways with cars on them, then a w/b snow blower might be better.

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

We do commerical snow plowing this year we have been sub contracted by the city of Trenton to do some of there lots and garages. We also do tile work, painting ect... One great thing we started to do last year was clean outs, crap people want to get rid of ( attics ,basements ect. ) hey you might even find something good
  6. BBN

BBN LawnSite Member

plowing snow isn't much of a good option around here. We usually only get 2-3 snows good for 2-5 inches. Last year we had only one snow good for about 3 inches. Two years ago, though we had a couple. One was 5" and the other 18"!!! ighteen inches may not seem like much to some here but That's the most we've gotten in my 36 years here on earth. We got about 15" in the late 70s but that's the only two I know of that was more than ten inches. And of the snows we usually get they're usually wet enough that it usually melts when it hit concrete or pavement and just sticks on grass.
  7. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

Everyone one ask if I plow snow. I say "What snow" we usually only get about 2to 3 small snows a year now. It is not worth the toime and money around here anymore. 1982 was a nasty year. We had a thunder snow that gave ys 24 inches in 10 hours. With the snow drifts some could walk right onto thier roof.

I do any job that makes money. The last couple years I have worked with a metal roofer. It's cold but it's work.
  8. sancho_man_orlando

sancho_man_orlando LawnSite Member

How do you find clea out customers? Or better yet how are they finding you for your service?

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

My wife sent a letter to all of our customers and put a add in the local paper + ist now on our web-site. The other day a customer was getting rid of an old time camera I found the same one on ebay for $100.00 and mine is on ebay to.
  10. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I sit around from mid Dec to mid feb hoping snow will fall. besides that ,playstation, cartoons and the pc is all i do!!!