What Do You Guys Do In the Winter?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Greenismyfavcolor, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Greenismyfavcolor

Greenismyfavcolor LawnSite Member

Hey guys I'm just starting in business and I have a million questions. One of them being what do you do in the winter time? When do you stop cutting? Decemeber till March?

2. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Last year I mowed until about the end of November. In December, January and February I mostly read Lawnsite.com forums, sleep, and prepare for upcoming marketing.

Every now and then you get the occasional leaf cleanup or bed design.

3. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I can repeat the same thing that the post from before me said, I am looking at doing a few more yearly contracts this next year though, even though I usually only mow 10 to 15 accounts 1 or 2 times in Dec., Jan., and Feb.
    with the yearly contracts you still have some money coming in during that time which is what you will want. hope that helps a little.

4. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

Snowplow/Salt

5. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't push snow so I pretty much worked on the ad campaign/promotional materials and ideas for this upcoming season. I mowed up to the end of November, we put our last patio in end of November. The weather has been decent enough most of this winter where we could have still been doing the hardscapes, but this last year was our first and we didn't start gaining a reputation for hardscapes until the end of the season. This is an area I want to focus a bit more on in order to add some of those winter jobs.
    I played Mr. Mom, painted dang near every room in the house, equipment maintenance, hunting, and went to some College Basketball games and wrestling meets (Big Ten).
    I will tell you this though, I would highly recommend working part time through the winter even if you are successful enough to not have to, not having a near full enough schedule is not as "gravy" as it may appear. Grandad once told me years ago that "it takes a special kind of person to do nothing" I've only had a little taste of that and can tell you this will not be the case next winter, I will work part time (don't want to interfere with ball games :clapping: ) just to fill some time.

6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I can't speak for everyone but we have snow plowing to off set the end of the season. This year has not been very good to us but it's just an offset. Some guys I know get part time work at different places just to stay busy and not go stir crazy. A lot of the time we are looking at marketing different things, that takes up more time than you think. Running a business like this, even though it's a seasonal business, can't stop just because the grass isn't growing.:nono:

7. Groundkeeperz

Groundkeeperz LawnSite Member
    from VA

We stay fairly busy landscaping in the winter time.

Most of our work is on the lake here so its a good time to do those jobs that the customer wasnt in a big hurry for.

The ground is froze alot of the time so we take advantage by doing rip rap jobs so we dont tear up the yards so bad with equipment.
    also the contractors and real estate investors always need something done this time of year.

For an example this coming week we have about 30-35 tons of shoreline rip rap to install on one job. And also a landscaping and cleanup job to do for a client that buys, fixes up and resales properties

8. Idahopondman

Idahopondman LawnSite Member

We start hanging christmas lights in November. That helps with cash flow, through january. One advantage with christmas lights, I always tell new customers about my other sevices. I have sold six pond installations from the new christmas light customers and we still have 4-6 inches of snow on the ground.
    I hav thought about pushing snow, but we have so many people with plows on there trucks, I think only the people who have been doing it a while make any money.

right know I am working on a business plan. its nice to have a little time to do that.

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I will take advantage of any snow storms I get to make some cash. I am also working on my marketing for the next year and making sure my equipment is serviced and ready! I'm on L.S. alot keeping up with the posts but I do have a part time job to keep some funds rolling in!

10. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

being a fairly new bussiness we have found that the gross profit margins are higher with winter snow plowing than in the summer