What do you guys do in the winter

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by newleaflandscape, Oct 21, 2003.

1. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Wondering What you guys do in the winter. I used to work on a farm but its not working out this year. I can t plow snow because there are to many guys around that do it and we never hardly get snow here in michigan anyways. And nobody in there right mind around here will pay for christmas lighting. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Snowmobile to my hearts content.

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

leaf cleanup, fence repair, build customer base, bid for new accounts.

4. nuchdig

nuchdig LawnSite Member
    from oh

Party in Costa Rica until early February!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. debris2500

debris2500 LawnSite Member

Pray for snow.....Plow snow.......Pray for snow.......Plow snow.......count my money........count my money........Bake pies.......Thank God for my health, family and business.

6. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I work on equipment, play with new ways to do things or building racks or things for my trailer. Watch football, take some more college courses so I can get my BA early. Work wise I do some landscaping that doesn't require any planting. I install rock lined flower beds, metal edging, clear brush...pretty much anything anyone wants me to do do and will pay me what I want to make for it.

7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Debris-
    That's the way we think here too. Except after bake pies: eat pies....,Thank God,..... bake pies, .....eat pies, ....repeat!!!:laugh:

8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Sleep, hunt, hibernate, eat, sleep, read, internet, build these.............www.bvmjets.com

9. my kids are involved in 4-H and this time of year we (don't laugh) we go to cattle shows with there animals. They like it and it helps to clear my mind of any lawn business.

10. Charlie Sierra

Charlie Sierra LawnSite Member

I started in October 02 and am going into my second Winter. I am going to hustle through the Winter to get some capital improvement money. Here are a few of my ideas on what to do when turf care and landscape seasons close:

Because we do alot of work for real estate people, we get cleanups later in the year than many guys do. They also pay handsomely for on demand light hauling but that is hit or miss, of course.

I have a carpenter that will give me some occasional light hauling that keeps my EZ dumper busy.

I am going to set up a snow attack trailer around my Gravely 12 hp tractor with 32 inch snow blower. Add a quantity of deicer, a Toro snow thrower borrowed from a friend, my "power broom" and the usual long handled snow removal tools and presto: instant trailer based snow removal business. Last year I ran a two man crew with this set up specializing in town houses, main street stores and other areas where snow and ice control are neccessary but a plow cannot help. One six hour day thus equipped last Febuary grossed $600.00 with a take home of $400.00; not too bad. One great market was small properties where there has been consistent plow damage over the years.

I was thinking of rigging my 8'ft trailer with some sort of open topped tank and propane burner to improvise a "snow eater" so I could service the tops of small parking garages; the plows can push up a two parking space pile and in places where there are only 10 or 12 spaces that really impinges on the vendor's profit. I would line them up on contract and then rent a a Dingo with a bucket to move the snow piles on days when enough people's trigger clauses made it profitable to do so. Anyway, I am not going to try this this year but I submit it as a fairly low cost means of filling an unseved need; maybe somebody else can do it and let us know how it works!

I do some firewood cutting and delivery but the margins on firewood can be thin. I always do some to get some fourth season business from regular clients. One aspect of firewood delivery that can help generate increased profits is selling clients on inserts, stoves, chimney cleaning or other related goods or services they may need or want and then collect a refferal fee by subbing out to a reputable, insured vendor with alot of years in the business.

My truck is my most expensive capital cost so I am looking at providing whatever services I can that will keep it operating day in and day out.

Well that is my big plan for the Winter: late cleanups, light hauling, small property snow removal, occassioal firewood sales and deliveries...oh yeah, and eat Raman when neccessary :D