What do you guys do in the winter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by newleaflandscape, Oct 21, 2003.

1. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Wondering what you all do for money in the winter. I usually worked on a farm but its not working out thiis year. I cant plow snow because there are too many guys around here and in michigan in hardly ever snows anymore. Nobody will pay for christmas lighting around here either. Just lookin for some ideas. Hard to find a job right now cause all these state workers are getting laid off, Michigan s economy is goin in the toilet. Any ideas would be great

2. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not trying to be rude at all but do a search and you will find LOTS of posts on this subject. I posted about this a while ago, and got tons of great responses.
    I think I'm going to be working at a local ski resort...if I'm gonna have to get a real job, I might as well get one where I can ski all I want!

3. PRO PROPERTY CARE

PRO PROPERTY CARE LawnSite Member

plow snow

dscf0027.jpg

4. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

In reply obviously you didnt read. I cant plow snow when there is none and the market is flooded around here.

5. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

There is always money to be made plowing snow I know it snows more in michigan the is will in Ohio, And like I said in an earlier post on this subject. All I have to do is drive around town and customers start running to you. But if thats not an option for you have fun flippen burgers

6. lost mountain

lost mountain LawnSite Member

You asked, "Wondering what you all do for money in the winter?"
    That's what PPC says he does in the winter. I personally make more money off of lawn maintenance in the winter than I do in the summer because all of our customers pay a year-round flat fee and my labor costs (for seasonal help) are almost non-existent.
    Otherwise, I am sensitive to the scenario you're looking at this time of year. Once I went to work for a golf course during the winter and then left and worked for a stone mason till landscape picked up in February. Both of those type scenarios might be tougher in a Michigan winter - snow or not.

7. PRO PROPERTY CARE

PRO PROPERTY CARE LawnSite Member

you asked what people do , I plow,,, sorry man.
    Like someone else said, you can always make money plowing.....
    chow:D

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Plow snow...other than that, nothing at all.

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Have you thought about snow plowing or hanging Christmas lights....those are two great ideas or maybe you could get a job with the state!!!

10. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

If you see many snow plows trucks there must be a reson for it, if you think you can't do snow plow then what about firewood deliver, or maybe talk to some other contractor in your area and ask'em about sub some snow removal service.