What do you guys do in the winter

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by newleaflandscape, Oct 25, 2003.

1. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Trying to figure out what I am going to do this winter. Snow plowing is going to be an option. I was wondering what all you guys do other then snow plowing, setting up christmas lighting, and drinking beer. Just looking for some ideas. We are going to be done for the winter as of november 5 I think. Its gnna be a long winter since we probly wont start up again till march. HElp
  2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

3. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

Just so you know, you are going to get the exact same answers as you did in your first post. And you'll probably get some pretty rude ones as well...just so you know!

Here's my answer...do a search.

Please don't waste our time.
  4. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Good lord I hate this question...as if we dont get it enough from customers who think we sit in a bar all winter or sleep for 3 months!!!.

Anyone whos in this biz for real will tell you that Jan and Feb fly by in a flash. Equip repair/refurbish, marketing for next year, a few seminars, have any medical or dental procedures done, taxes, review production times and rates for prior year...and on and on....dont mean to pounce on you but this ? gets on my nerves as we hear so often from customers.

Oh and did I mention, GET SOME MUCH NEEDED REST( yes I know I'm yelling and I intended to )...ok now I feel better
  5. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

The northern companies may get a rest but not down here. Not only are we still mowing C4, we just completed most of our C3 overseed applications. Meaning we won't stop mowing the whole year. Factor in the installs, other services, new customers - what is much needed rest?
  6. GarPA

from PA

I heard that you boys in South dont work as hard as we Northerners...so thats why you dont need a rest.....ha
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

LMAO Gar...boy are you gonna get it (btw, I think you're right too).
  8. GarPA

from PA

Rod I was kidding ...kind of...theres some truth to the fact that in the South if you dont pace yourself, you'll drop over from the humidity...watch the Mexicans work...slow and steady and they get the work done...and the way they dress is also interesting...they cover up in the heat...Not us yahoos...oh no...we're out there with all the fair white skin hangin out, gettin more wrinkles than Hillarys face, and adding to those pre cancerous moles all over us...yeah we're real smart...
  9. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I'm not kidding. I have been in the turfgrass industry for over fourteen years, the last three of which are in Texas.
    I spent time in the NE US bldg and maintaining golf courses and large turfgrass sites. I miss the shop time in the winter when I could set up equipment for the next year. I miss the time I could plan to be away from the course or sites for a couple of weeks - I have none of that now.
    I am booked solid through the end of Nov with installs of landscape, turf and irrigation. Figuring in the lousy weather, and the shortened daylight, I 'm busy through X-mas time. C4 mowing starts around mid Feb which leaves me maybe three weeks to complete all the little odd jobs I didn't finish throughout the year, repair equipment, take time with the wife, maybe hunt a bit ( a day or two) then it is back to work.
  10. Dr. Mow

Dr. Mow LawnSite Member

rest is for the weak.