1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What do you guys do on steeeeeep hill, use a trimmer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by syzer, Oct 7, 2000.

1. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

When you guys get steep hill that a walk behind wont hang onto and a push mower to much a pain in the but...what do you do? I seen a guy here take the guard off the trimmer and have like a foot of string whipping around. Does this make sense? What do you guys do? What do you recomend?

Thanks,

Chris

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Unless less the steep hill is right in front of the house and is very visible i always cut them with a trimmer. I can cut a hill with a trimmer alot faster than it takes to cut it with a push mower. None of my timmers have sheilds and i always have a good 8-10iches of string on each side out.

3. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I will also use a trimmer. Remember with the guard off and alot of line out you will burn up the clutch.

4. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

anyone ever use these floating mowers? I have seen them before husquavarna has one also.

5. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

How does it work??

6. sunrise

sunrise Banned

Yeap I have a hoover mower its 16in wide but it works well.
    It uses trimmer string and floots on air. over rock but it now good for straight lines. cost about $400.00

7. The Lawn Genie

The Lawn Genie LawnSite Member

I've never even seen one of those before. I just ordered the video though... looks interesting to me. Anyone else had any experience with them?

8. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Hover mowers are cool, they can't bag though.For steep hills I use 2 cycle toros, 21's. They'll run awesome with the mulch plug in and no dump fees! Sturdy machines that over time you'll only replace suspension parts on! Three speed trans with zerks, get both blades for it.

9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

For steep areas I use a trimmer. I don't like using the 21" mower when I don't have to.