What do you guys do to set yourselves apart from the competition?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by dsmrolla06, Nov 5, 2005.

1. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

Around here theres more lawn mowers then lawns... not quite but close. Anyways a majority of the lawn companies are hispanic and offer the low prices. I want to set myself apart from the competition, offering quality of price. What do you guys do to sell yourselves over the other guys?

2. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you speak english, then your ahead of the game......its a good question....one i am still trying to figure out.......do a Justmowit, keep costs down, no bs on equipment and offer a good price...they will come!!

3. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry i meant to say quality over price. Im trying to emphasize doing quality work over just hackin it off.

4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I grew up outside Marion so I know what you are up against. So our answers to your question may not help much but here is what I do I work with architects and other contractors who just can't provide the specialized service I do so they refer me. My crew all speak English, they are clean and well groomed, we wear uniforms that are not typical to the industry long sleeve dress shirts (light blue) and Khaki long pants. I wright a newsletter monthly to let clients know whats happening in their yard and what they should be thinking about for the upcoming month. I also remind them that we are their to make their lives easier so if they need anything (legal) Christmas decorations, a tree, firewood, fixing or painting a gate you name it. I sell time and I am already there so with a little planning its no big deal. I market our service as an old fashioned gardening service. I am active in local and national associations. I enter my properties in award contests (sometimes I win) and I am often asked if they are available for local garden tours. I make sure anyone who is doing publicity work in the industry; writers, architects, radio talk showhosts, know me, I keep in touch I make myself available for teaching classes to homeowners for local municipalities. I attend any and all trade shows that come to town I take whatever classes I can there is always more to learn. Sorry you asked yet? Above all return your calls promptly.

5. Some of the areas I mow in their is no competition. I mow camps and cottages in Upstate NY. To date I've never seen another LCO market in these areas. The area I'm in there are probably 25 to 50 lakes and rivers and anywhere between 10 to 100's of cottages on each body of water. Most of these cottages are owned by people from out of the area, so they don't always have local contacts and the first LCO to come along usually gets the job if their in the market.

6. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I return phone calls. I can't tell you how many people say "Thank you for getting back to me". That and I actually have some horticultural background...I can basically walk a property with the client and tell them the name of any plant they have.

7. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

simple as the golden rule really, treat people how you would expect to be treated.

8. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

I back up exactly what you are wanting to do & we claim as well. I make sure that when I or my other crew leaves a property it is tops. I also KISS butt, I have a very likable personallity which helps, but we bend over backwards to please. And yes sell all extras on time. We had 1 cust. call and her teakwood patio table and chairs blew off her river porch and into the rive and since we do all or her outside lawn /landscape work she didn't know anbody but us to call and ask to retrive it. And yes we were there within 30-35 min. and pulled them out. I charged her for time spent including both to & from travel from where we working that day. I also feel that knowledge is $. Knowing 95% of the plants planted in our area really helps. (not just common names but latin name as well.) My problem is I charge around the $40/ hr and I am one of the highest if not the bidder on most jobs. Wish I could get the 60 + like a lot of you guys.

9. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

$5 a yard!

10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

- A good job

- Respect the customer

- Answer my phone

- Do everything in my power to show up on the same day each week

- Clean up after myself

- Keep my equipment clean

- Go above and beyond EVERY single visit