1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What do you guys do with this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Craftybigdog, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys I have a Exmark 48in WB with a grass catcher. My question is when you do a yard what do you do with the clippings. When I did it the other day I just dumped it on my trailer. But what a pain what do you do?
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You leave the grass catcher on the trailer. It takes up less space than piles of grass, you don't have to dump it at the end of the day, and it's better for the turf if the catcher is left on the trailer, too. In other words, ...no need.
  3. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I'd tell the client "I don't catch grass!"

No reason to if they have you come once a week (or more frequently in spring). For what they would have to pay me to collect clippings, they could easily afford to have me come twice a week to mow.

Then you can also give them the "keeps clippings from filling up our landfill" and "it is a natural fertilizer to keep them on your grass".

I'll bet it takes you at least twice as long to mow it when catching as opposed to discharging. Are they paying you 2 times your regular fee? PLUS it is harder work for you. PLUS now you have to handle the clippings (work around them on your trailer, etc.)AND find a place to get rid of them. PLUS the cost of the GRASS CATCHER that you incurred. Anyone not charging 2 to 3 times their regular rate to bag is GIVING IT AWAY / DOING IT FOR FUN / A SAP, whatever.

4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Find a discreet dump site ;)
  5. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

i catch every yard unless it is july 110 degrees and the grass barely grows. i hate clippings all over the yardit looks like you don't care. ya i charge a little more but the lawns look outstanding. Don't get me wrong you could let them fly and the lawn still looks good but how many times do you run over it. i see a lot of guys leting the grass fly. it goes in the L scape and in the street , nice coating of clipped grass on top of the grass doesn't appeal to me. anyways take the grass dump it into your truck, find a nearby farm or dumping area and you are set.
  6. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to totally disagree with you on this. I have a 52" Exmark Lazer Z HP w/ an UltraVac and all I have to do is a one time over cut. I have a local farmer that whats all the grass clippings and leaves I can bring him. I work solo and double cutting when side discharging takes up too much time.
  7. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

If I know that I am going to bag clippings.

I strap a medium sized trash can on the trailor and use it to hold a trash bag. When the bag gets full just tie it up and store it on the trailor.

I am lucky enough to have a guy that comes by every week to collect the clippings so that he can get to make mulch with it.

Free mulch makes the small amount of extra time spent worth it to me.
  8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you considered mulching instead of discharging or catching? I have 2 Exmark 48" w/b's and mulch with both, with good results.
  9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

What the heck, I'll join in too. I have a Walker, the machine that is MADE to bag but I do not bag one weekly mowing customer. I use the 52 side discharge with double blades. My collection deck is used in 3 situations. #1 is by far the spring time when it is dethatching season, #2 is fall when the mulched leaves are too much for the lawn and #3 is very rarely if a one time job pays well and needs the lawn bagged. The key there is pays very well.
    When I started 9 years ago, I used to bag all of them. I didn't know any better. I tried some of the tips and hints I learned (here) and can honestly say that I like doing this job much better when I don't have to haul grass and dump at the end of every hard day. The benefits of leaving the clippings on the lawn are fact. I know most guys who use doubles can make a lawn look as if it was bagged by letting them fly, I know I can. Want proof of how good it works, look up some pictures of our great friend in Heaven, ERIC ELM and the lawns that he did. He did not bag 1 clipping and taught lots of us how to do the same.
    Try some different things guys, you will surprise yourselves. Good Luck.
  10. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

"I have to totally disagree with you on this. I have a 52" Exmark Lazer Z HP w/ an UltraVac and all I have to do is a one time over cut. I have a local farmer that whats all the grass clippings and leaves I can bring him. I work solo and double cutting when side discharging takes up too much time.

Kane Lawn Care "

Hi KANE

Are you charging extra to bag? And extra to offset the cost of your ultra-vac ($1200 - 2000 are prices i've seen)? Plus extra to haul clippings around and take them to farmer friend (even though you don't have to pay him to dump them)? I WOULD BE! IF they want PREMIUM SERVICE they should be paying YOU or ME or any LCO PREMIUM DOLLARS!

Also, I didn't say I DOUBLE CUT THEM. I said that I have most of my customers set up so that I come every 4 or 5 days during the spring. That eliminates the excess amount of clippings left on yard, also eliminates the need to double cut.

I AGREE WITH "too much time to double cut" during the spring. However, unless you have the "dump from the seat" version of UV, I would think bagging takes longer, plus the trip to the farm to unload them.

I DEFINITELY THINK THERE IS A PLACE for bagging - on an ULTRA HIGH END SERVICE for BIG BUCKS. IF you are set up with a way to EFFICIENTLY handle the clippings. But I think for MOST customers side discharge is the way to go. If we are doing more without CHARGING BIG for it then we are SPOILING OUR CUSTOMERS and have no one to blame but ourselves for RATES (prices charged & our profit) being kept low.

Just my 2cents.