What do you guys do with your excavators?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Husky05, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

Hello everyone,

An excavator is a very large purchase for anyone and depending what size of machine and beind new or not could really make or break a small company. My question to you is, what do you guys do with your excavators when you dont have anywork for it and still have to make a payment?

When I am using mine during wall construction or landscape removals its great, but then there are times when it just sits here. I have used it on occasion for some plumbers which works great, but anyone else got any ideas to get some work for it?

Thanks

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

If you want the headaches you can rent it out. Not a perfect solution but guys are doing that here. No steady work for anyone so they will rent the machine out when its available. Mines almost paid for so shortly it wont hurt so bad when its sitting, but it does sting.

3. Ozz

Ozz LawnSite Senior Member

The 315 never sits. Hydraulic thumb and a few other extras (slab bucket, grapple, ditch bucket, and multiple GP, and a trench bucket, wide double bar pads) make it uber-versatile.

I do forestry, demolition, excavation, utilities, pond work, and a ton of other stuff with it. Excavators, with the attachments available today, are really a swiss army knife. And the 15 ton size makes it even more versatile, as it can go nearly anywhere, and do a lot of stuff usually reserved for larger gear, ableit it takes a little longer.

4. blowerman

blowerman LawnSite Member

My 160 sits from time to time. To answer the question, learn to budget for slow times.
    Sometimes when it sits this gives us time to repaint the counter weights and clean it.
    Big iron is not easy to own.

5. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Mine just sits looking pretty in the shop. :hammerhead:

It does load stuff and use it for black dirt screening so it is useful even thought it isn't 'bringing' money in.

6. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

It runs in spells for my stuff, one of my big excavators has set for a month. but I've been using the other machines so it doesn't really matter. come to think of it I've only used my little takeuchi mini excavator on about 3 or 4 jobs this year, but its paid for and is worth more to keep it and use it for loading stuff at the shop ect.

7. cuttin-to-the-Max

cuttin-to-the-Max LawnSite Bronze Member

My buddy uses his BIG CAT to plow with takes off the arm and plows subdivision streets
    Its quite a machine! Has a custom snow plow that mounts in bet. the tracks!

8. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I need to see pictures of that!

9. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

thats gotta be slow going....

10. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

Ohhh bulllll crapppppp !! Steel tracks on a street turning all over?

Pictures or bust
    Posted via Mobile Device