1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What do you guys earn and what else do you do?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by crosel, Sep 9, 2012.

1. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

the company can go on auto pilot after a few years of advertising alot. and of acquiring enough accounts to make what you want per month, but it is very hard to find someone to do the same quality job that you once did for that customer, and you are now paying two people to do lawns or whatever vs. have just 1 person to work with you and you are on every job to make sure the quality is there. plus lets say you make 4000 one week you only have to pay 1 guy 400 or whatever. i can't say for certain what i will have earned this year. june i was close to clearing 18,000 alone, that was with chipping jobs, stump grinding, landscape installs, and a day a week of mowing. then it was all down hill from there, hopefully september and october are close to 5 figures again, but time will tell. i'm only 24 so you can do well if you work hard and do good work. also this is only my 2nd year in business.

2. Surferbum21

Surferbum21 LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW OKC

exactly. you can't just let someone do it and not follow up on stuff. i do all the scheduling, invoicing, estimates, and take care of any complaints. I call customers once a month to make sure they are happy with everything.

3. Surferbum21

Surferbum21 LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW OKC

about 200 weekly lawn accounts. about 250-300 weed control customers. a lot of odd jobs (landscape, cleanups, etc.) per week. have 5 really big commercial accounts. I have 4 guys that make a bout $500/week. keep in mind though I've been at this for 15 years. and wasn't until the last few years that it's been running perfect and efficiently. I almost wrecked my marriage by trying to do everything myself and let the business run me.

I had projected making $200k this year after expenses (before taxes) but another dry year has me about $18,000 up from last year when had projected $25,000. But hey I also added on my brother in law on salary to run the crew and I haven't hardly have to go out and break my back this year at all so I'll take it.