1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What do you guys include as part of spring cleanups?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JLC, Mar 15, 2001.

1. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Just wondering what everyone does for spring cleanups. We just pick up any leaves that wind up the yards over the winter and pick up twigs and branches that fall out of the trees. Are you guys also power sweeping sand out of yards, dethatching, aerating, etc... Just wondering if I need to be doing more.

2. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Whatever the customer wants to pay for to have cleaned up ;) Aerating & dethatching are not cleaning up yards IMO, but if you can sell them as part of a "spring package" & charge accordingly, then by all means go for it!
  3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Spring Clean-Up, Aeration, and Power Raking are in fact seperate services and should be treated as such. Each has a specific function and should not be grouped in association with the others when giving estimates. Bid them all seperately, and use them correctly for a healthier, more beautiful, longer lasting lawn. Otherwise you are calling an apple, a pear, and a plum the same.

Spring Clean Up is the edging of beds, walks, curbs, and driveways.

Removing the debris that is smothering the turf from the previous winter.

Clearing the leaves from the shrubbery in the beds.

Perform the inital mowing.

Good Luck this season!

4. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

kris, i just did my 1st clean-up. and i cut the yard at 2.5 inches cleaned all the beds, and weeded the beds, walks don't get weeds, i did it solo and it took me 1.5 hours. do you think $30 is good.
  5. double e

double e LawnSite Member

Did you cut the yard last season-
    If you did- charge what you cut it for, then add labor for clean-up

I'm thinking on the lines of 50-60 bucks. Hard to tell by size ofyard not given.

Make it worth your while
  6. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know what you are happy making per hr but $20.00 per hr is way too low. Subtract all costs and you could make double at Burger King! My price would be 67.50
  7. lawn and stump

lawn and stump LawnSite Member

We use a tine rake in front of a 52" scag hydro.
    Rake or backpack out the beds then run over lawn with the tine rake, looks like you spent all day hand raking. charge
    about $50 per man hr to cover tines. they get fatiged and break after about 40 hrs
  8. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Banned

Thatch w/JRCO or encore depending on location/etc.
    Blow all leaves/debris out of beds onto lawn and clean up
    Mow (usually done while thatching w/JRCO)
    Edge, trim, do beds

A week or two later...
    Lime, seed,peat moss or penn mulch, fertilzer, crabgrass control.

A lot easier to do it that way solo.

Around here ALL spring clean ups include all of the above, but for say a 60'*80' property (typical size lot) there's about 2k square feet of turf and I can do everything above solo in about 1.5-2.0 hours tops. I charge more for aeration, etc.
  9. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Our "Cleanup" service is just that a cleanup of the property from debris left during the winter. Our cleanup doesn't include a cut unless the customers want a seasonal contract. Aeration and dethatching are written up on a separate estimate as well. Don't allow the customer to think that they are going to get something for nothing..

10. Hunter Landscape

Hunter Landscape LawnSite Member

here in sc i "winter cleanup" a lot of my customer's lawns every 14-21 days. this way there is some money coming in and the customer's property looks better throughout the winter. of course, if there was snow on the ground i don't know what i would do. i guess i would plow it!!!