1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what do you guys know about corn gluten?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TMGL&L, Feb 20, 2008.

1. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

In the country club I'm working a lot in, some of my competition is going organic...

Anyway, I'm going to change my fertilization program and I've heard good reviews about corn gluten. What do you guys know about it? How much do I use? What exactly does it do?
  2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

The CGM experts are in the organic forum. You will get many more responses there.... in this forum, I think you will find most people are of the opinion... well, maybe I shouldn't speak for others. As for me, I am entirely unconvinced that is safer than man made ferts when properly applied, and it surely isn't as effective. In the organic forum however, you will find an almost fanatical certain percentage of posters that are certified flag wavers for CGM, ranging from extremists to moderates on the topic.

Just put your helmet on before asking if a lime app is OK over there.
  3. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

tried it last year at a rate of 10 lbs. p/k and had 0 results. However i have heard that CG takes time to build up in the soil to be effective. Perhaps 2-3 years of using it steadily would make a diiference.
  4. mnturfmaster

mnturfmaster LawnSite Member

From what i have read about it you have to apply it at a minimum of 20 lbs. per 1000 sq. ft. twice a year, once in the spring and again in the fall. It will take up to 3 years before it starts to work as a pre emergent. It has to be watered in immediately and then a considerable drying stage. I know the university of minnesota did a study on it a few years ago and the results wern't that great. There is more info on CGM on the university of iowa's website. And like whitey said, go to the organics forum. Those guy's seem to love this stuff.
  5. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Our fertilizer costs went up drastically to produce more corn.
  6. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

CGM prices are up on average $7.50 a bag.

20lbs per k in the spring and late summer/early fall is best, but that also depends on the lawn's overall turf coverage. I only recommend CGM for estbalished lawns. On thin lawns or lawns with heavy weed pressure, CGM isn't going to help much. On average, you get 40-50% control the first year, and up to 80-90% after 3 years, but soil biology also plays a role in that too.