what do you guys perfer diesel or gas

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by smarino21, Jun 26, 2006.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

i am looking into another truck right now it would be used for me, estimating, supervising stuff like taht not actually towing. I would be plowing snow in the winter and eventually having it pull a trailer. I dont know if gas or diesel is better cause i hear diesel last forever but i mean how bad is the truck when the diesel starts to pay off?
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

you need to drive a lot of miles to justify buying a diesel over a gas if you're not buying it for the towing reason.

I have a 2005 f350 diesel for hauling and a 4cyl 1994 toyota pickup for farting around on light-jobs, estimates, personal, etc. its the best of both worlds.
  3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

GAS! do not spend the extra thousands on diesel, it will take years before you even break-even.
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

diesel...the motor sounds better!!haha

i do like it because of the power, yea the sound, and the durability of it
  5. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

That's the same way I feel, but it would take awhile for the durability factor to come into affect, at least for my uses. I'll probably still end up getting one before I actually need the power. The way I look at it, when it comes to hauling mulch, a v8 is too weak, a v10 drinks gas, and a diesel sounds really sweet. It also has more adequate power, but thats besides tht point :rolleyes: .
  6. CutRight

CutRight LawnSite Senior Member

im never buying another gas vehicle again for my business. i would only own a gas for a personal vehicle. and even then only if its not a truck. all deisel from now on. just bought a 2500hd duramax. so much more power than my gas its ridiculous, better fuel mileage for towing and just driving around. plus like someone said, the engine sounds better. hahha.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Power and reliability. Where I live diesel is cheaper than gas. And here's the good part, under 20,000 gvw, self inspection. I've got a '04 F550 7.3 turbo diesel w/tow-haul feature. When you've got weight on that Jake brake is nice.
  8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Diesel, I would never own a gasser.
  9. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can afforde it, diesel is the way to go IMO. I am holding out for one!
  10. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

How bad is the gas with the v-10? Im ready to buy had 2 diesels i pull bobcat 185 with hoe attm. on tailer. Also i pull a hydro seeder at times 1000 gal. of water. Is the fuel that bad on the v-10 that you could take the diesel difference from the cost to purchase and still come close/ Im havin g bad luck with my 6.0 and dont feel chevy front ends are heavy enough to plow snow with.