What do you guys think about GREAT DANE?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fool32696, Jul 18, 2007.

1. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

I need to add a 48" walk behind to get in some backyards and do some smaller properties, the 66" Hustler is just too big. I've found some new Great Dane Scampers at good prices brand new. How are these hydro units? Are they reliable? How is the cut? Do they do ok with a sulky? What do you think a 48" with 15hp is worth brand new?
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    Jimmy

2. Rob.C

Rob.C LawnSite Member

Dont get a great dane (unless its a dog), get a 48" trimstar hydro.:weightlifter:

3. fool32696

If I could get a 48" trimstar brand new for $2500 like I found the Dane I'd be all over it.

4. Rob.C

Rob.C LawnSite Member

I wouldnt give a 1,000 dollars for a dane, its not going to last, try to finance a trimstar, it will be well worth it.

5. turfcaster

turfcaster LawnSite Member

Great Dane surfers are killer.

6. turfcaster

Fool, are you familiar with Ocala?

7. greg1

greg1 LawnSite Member

I'll take a scamper for $2,500.00.

8. fool32696

Turf, I'm familiar with Ocala. It's pretty close to me. Why do you ask?

9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

He may be asking because there is a great Great Dane dealer there. How do I know this? Because I had to go there once to get f'n parts for mine. I live in Clearwater!!! I would get the trimstar(never heard of it but it has to be better than great dane), or maybe a pack of goats. Immagine, having to drive 150 miles to get a common part for a lawnmower because thats the closest place that has it..........

10. turfcaster

Laurel Run on 17th St. with the pond in the front ,Oak Creek Caverns ,the nice neighborhood just east of Oak Creek Caverns,just about all the condos that look good in Silver Springs Shores are just a few large commercial accounts you can see that are cut by Danes(Super Surfers). The crew who does these properties have been riding the same mowers for years,I used to work on that crew years ago. I have logged some serious hours on the Surfers, they are just plain killer mowers.

I have never used their walk behind though. But ,if you can get a 48" hydro walk-behind commercial mower ,with warranty and dealer backing for $2500,sounds like a pretty good deal regardless of brand. I have had good experience with their Surfer models,so I personally would go for it,if I was in the market for a 48 walk behind.