what do you guys think about this? (how to price a lawn)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Clear-Cut, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

2. dekalb lawn man

dekalb lawn man LawnSite Member

It makes perfect sense to me. Most yards that I mow are about 25-35 dollars and they take 15-20 minutes each. Me ($1) plus helper($0.75) per minute equals out to be about the same.

3. Steve's Mow & Trim

Steve's Mow & Trim LawnSite Member

That is exactly how I do it....If it will take me 20 min I charge 25....40 min 45 I do $1 per min plus $5 for the heck of it.......dunno why

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The extra $5 helps pay for:

Maintenance, taxes, driving time, breakdowns, blind spots / unforeseen circumstances, to name some of the extras.
    While it's also called making a profit.

5. lawnguy268

lawnguy268 LawnSite Member

Do most of you solo guys price this way ,because by my self it usally takes 30 to 45 mins to do some lawns . That would take a normal 2 or 3 man crew 20 mins at most.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It s a joke. This little fallacy of a technique has been discussed here several times, and has been dissected and proven why it doesn't work. As a matter of fact, this theory has been blown out of the water by EXTREMELY knowledgeable and successful members here. For one, and a main reason why this doesn't work, is because of the question. How do you gauge the "dollar per minute" per equipment you are running? Do you charge a dollar an hour running a $3000 36" walk behind? Fine...Now, what happens when you invest in a $10,000 60" ZTR that does 4 times the productivity? Still at "a dollar an minute"? This crap comes from the phil school of thinking and is totally worthless as a broad rule of thumb. Another thing to consider is the different parts of the country that have the different market shares. That would be like me giving a scientific formula for square footage that would be accurate down to the square inch, and telling you guys. "Ok, here it is. This applies to you guys in Virginia, Vermont, New Jersey, Michigan, Texas, California, and Hawaii (even though a gallon of milk costs you about $5 in Hawaii). So, as you can see, this is just another general statement mixed in to a drab sales pitch, in order to further influence suckers into believing and buying. But believe waht you want..."whatever dude".:laugh:

7. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with runner.

I spent my first year using a residential garden tractor, and I charged about 1 doller per minute, just because it worked out that way. This year I bought a 48" Commercial Zero Turn, I'm not going to lower my prices.

8. dekalb lawn man

dekalb lawn man LawnSite Member

I have ran into this as well. What used to take 30 minutes now only takes me 15 because of my helper. That is why I charge $1 for me and $0.75 for my helper. Now this does not pertain to all yards. You still need to use common sense. If a yard by yourself only takes 15 minutes dont charge $15 dollars. For me I have a minimum chare of $25 dollars and if I think it will take more than 12 minutes with me and my helper than I bid accordinly, adding $1.75 per minute.Again though you still have to use common sense because this $1 a minute per person thing does not always work. Once you start bidding on alot of properties you will figure out what does and does not work for you.