What do you guys think is the perfect hp size for a 52 inch zero

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by superrman77, Feb 25, 2010.

1. superrman77

superrman77 LawnSite Member

Located in the midwest. Just looking for a few opinions. I think I am leaning toward a 23hp. Give me some feedback guys.
    Thanks

2. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

23hp...better than a 19hp in wet & overgrown stuff

3. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

some areas my 21hp seems a little over worked but in other areas it seems to be just fine but i dont see anything wrong with going with a bigger hp such as a 23 or even a 31

4. S&S Outdoor Services

S&S Outdoor Services LawnSite Member

90hp... but seriously I don't think there's ever been a time where I've regretted more power. Are you looking at the Grandstands?

5. superrman77

Looking at a few. I have not decided on a ztr or a stand on yet. I currently have walk behinds. I am looking at a encore 52 inch with a 23 kaw. I have looked at a the deere ztr's with the 23 as well. My next mower will have at least a 23hp. I just have not decided yet. Thanks for the replies.

6. S&S Outdoor Services

I'm in the same boat as you. I have two 44" wb and want to upgrade to the standers. Depending on the contracts we get this year, might have to go with a ztr. I'm a toro guy though, the Grandstands and the G3's are what I'm looking at. Remember if you have a ztr, you have more options for aerators, dethatchers etc. etc. but I've also heard nothing but good things for the stand ons. - Sam

7. superrman77

I am a toro man as well. I have 2 52's and a 36. I am just torn. You want to get it right when you spend this much dough.

8. S&S Outdoor Services

I just did a proposal for a townhome assoc and had to get a bid for 3 new mowers (40" and 52" grandstand, and a 60" ztr) with a few attachments that came out to just over 30k with the fleet pricing. So I know what you mean about getting it right. I think if you know what you'll need for deck sizes, you won't really buy a bad mower though. It mostly comes down to what feels right, and that's personal preference. Talk to your dealer and you should be able to try out whatever you want.

9. Danlevan

Danlevan LawnSite Member

25+ if you plan on bagging.

10. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

23 is a great size for that, but a 25 is even better. a 19 is underpowered for a ride on due to the extra weight over a walk behind