1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What do you guys think of my truck to start out with?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Ecoscape01, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

I've been researching trucks like a mad man the last couple days that are within my $2000 or less budget (and that is pretty hard).......usually I would take a little longer but this one seems like a good deal. It's an '89 F-150 4x4 ext. cab with tow package, hitch and wiring harness. The guy didn't like the electronic 4wd controls so he replaced the electronic hubs with manual ones. I kinda like that better anyway cuz they're more reliable (on an older truck at least). He also said that he bought it two years ago with 89k miles (it has 115K now) and it came with a heavy duty 4sp auto w/od transmission but I didn't think that was an option for 150's back then.....maybe you guys have some knowledge about that. Another thing, he said that he bought the truck with 1-ton helper springs and that they are rivited on just like the stock springs so he thinks that the truck came stock with the helper springs??????? Apparently the truck runs solid...No engine or tranny problems and pretty clean body. He said he used it to tow a camper and then due to parking issues he had to get rid of the camper recently. I'm gonna go look at it on Saturday. Assuming that the truck is functional and in good condition as promised and it passes and inspection by a mechanic of my choice, you guys think $1500 is good. Kelly Blue Book for that truck with all it's options was 1800+ in fair condition and 2100+ in good condition and 2300+ in excellent which due to a few rust spots, I know it's not in excellent condition.
  2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Any decent looking truck that is in good mechanical condition is worth $1500. If it is the way you describe it, then yeah, it is worth that. Depending on how much it has towed in the past and how heavy the load you are going to tow is, I would watch out for one thing. Thattranny is an AOD-E, and I have one in a '94 F-150. I get about 125,000 miles on the tranny before it needs a rebuild. I have 268,000 on that truck now, so it has been rebuilt twice. Right now it is in great shape.

That is a good truck to buy and sounds as though it is in good shape. I would go ahead and price out a tranny rebuild on that truck just in case it goes in the next year or two. But I would still buy the truck.
  3. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

sounds like it will be ok
  4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

sounds good to me. what engines in it?
  5. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

thats a pretty good one, shame its not the 300. i think its a good buy if it checks out.
  7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I would say it's worth the money for sure. Is it a XL or XLT???
  8. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Good Deal...buy it.
  9. Jerbs

Jerbs LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

Sounds reasonable. I have one like it but single cab with the 300, the thing is a tank. Makes a good work truck.
  10. SUPERIOR Lawn Design

SUPERIOR Lawn Design LawnSite Member

Buy it! You can't go wrong with a Ford truck...