What do you guys think of the lesco hps?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenHor7, Feb 24, 2008.

1. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

Is this a good unit to grow with. I have about 25 customers and i am looking at one of these with a drop-in sprayer or make the big investment and get a z-spray. My main concern was the time it takes to remove the drop-in sprayer from gregson clark.

2. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

its not stainless...is the only big issue i would see getting one..

3. Jerry Andersen

Jerry Andersen LawnSite Member

I like mine it saves alot of time & energy

4. mnturfmaster

mnturfmaster LawnSite Member

ours has been good but be prepared to do some repairs to it. All the bolts holding on the front hopper come loose and have to be re tightened. Have had to replace the idler pulley, throttle cable, and front axle bearings. If you wash it, dry it off with air or else everything will rust.

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I was seriously thinking about the HPS when I was on a quest for a ride on spreader last winter. There was a guy on another forum that was actually building a spraying system that would mount on them and allow you to spray and spread at the same time. Not sure if it ever took off, discussion just kinda stopped on it.

Once you buy the HPS machine, and then a spray system, you are dangerously close to the price of a permagreen that's all stainless and can spread and spray. If your intentions were to only spread granular materials the HPS is a pretty good choice. I've really only heard positive things about them, though they do rust and the engines are mounted right where they suck in a lot of fertilizer particles and dust. (this is just what I've been told).

I ended up with a new Permagreen Magnum, Decided it was the best fit for me. Yes, they aren't perfect either, and there is a learning curve to running one and being efficient, but the time and energy savings has been amazing. I was able to buy it (from Lesco) with 0% financing for 3 years. Hard to say no to that! Not costing me a dime more to make payments on it.

Oh, and I'm not a "big business" either. I'm a solo guy, my main business is mowing. I'm not putting the hours and abuse on my PG that guys that use them 5 days a week would. I plan on having it 10+ years though. Yes, hard to justify a $6,000 machine for 70 lawns, but I had no more time to do it the way I was doing it before, and now I can go out and spend the whole day slinging fert and still be able to move the next day! :walking: