what do you guys think of this price for mulching?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by ktfinch2000, Apr 1, 2009.

1. ktfinch2000

ktfinch2000 LawnSite Member

I have a large mulching job to price out. I have to spread 20yrds of mulch in multiple large flower beds. My partner and I will be using a small john deer tractor with a small bucket to spread the mulch. All the beds have stone edging and have been cleaned so basically I just have to spread the mulch. I get the mulch for 36yrd delivered. I plan on giving the customer a price of $1250 materials and labor. Is this to low or to high of a price? Thanks in advance.

2. dcl25

dcl25 LawnSite Member

I usually double the price of the mulch times the quanity, that price includes mulch/labor. Hope this helps.

3. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

true, a hair low but $62/yrd you should be fine.

we pay nearly half that for mulch and still get $60+ generally in nj area fyi

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Mulch than costs me 16 per yard picked up and an additional 50 for delivery I get 70 per yard installed. So, for me your price would be very low at that purchase price. With that said, no one knows your business but yourself and your partner.

running some quick numbers....

$1250 job total, 775 (not sure what tax is in RI) material costs leaves 500 for two people. Assuming no rental fees for the machine or other material costs, 2 man-hour travel time, 10 man hours to spread mulch/cleanup job that would be a total of 40 per man-hour netted. Low IMHO for mulch installation.

5. ktfinch2000

thanks guys I was thinking to try to do a set price of 60 a yard plus materials and this will include edging and cleanup. Typically I would be spreading by wheel barrel and rake but the customer offered to let us use his tractor if I could take some off the price. I was at $1450 but dropped it due to using the tractor.

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

u may want to rethink including the cleanup and edging. Edging can be timely depending how you are going to do it and whether or not its been performed in the past. Wouldn't want to see you lose your shorts.

suggestion...be careful of your liabilities utilizing his machine.

7. FYS777

FYS777 LawnSite Silver Member

Yes I would get something in writing about useing the tractor and running it on the lawn, or to that effect. and rethink the edging, man that is a lot of edging???

8. ktfinch2000

there is actually no edging on this job because all the beds are surrounded by cobble stones. i already did a spring clean up so it would be priced just for putting the mulch down.

9. FYS777

FYS777 LawnSite Silver Member

# 5 post you said this would include edgeing and clean up, make up your mind. thanks

10. ktfinch2000

Sorry I was talking about future job pricing @ 60 hour labor, edging, and cleanup.