What do you guys think of this truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by LawnBoy89, Aug 30, 2005.

1. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

2. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

nice truck! , if your going to use it to hang out with your buddies, you really need to look for a truck thats not lifted or has big tires, we live in ct. think of winter, how are you going to plow with a lifted truck? also by having a lifted truck, yes i do like them, but from another view, it looks like your really not a co, it may come across as just another guy with a truck and a trailer, doing it part time.... but if the truck is not lifted and you can just put smaller tires and a plow on it, then yes it will make you a great work truck, as i had one just like it for many years and it made me ton's $$$$$ IF YOU DO PLOW WITH IT, MAKE SURE THAT YOU PUT WEIGHT IN THE BACK AS IT IS A LIGHT TRUCK..... hope that it helps

3. LawnBoy89

Thanks, I am only doing it part time though because I go to school and I also work at a grocery store. I only have about 17 accounts.

Also, what is wrong with the tires for plowing? I've never plowed before so I don't know what its like.

Also the truck has 130k miles on it so I am reconsidering.

4. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

wide tires tend to float on the snow, thus no traction....

5. MOZE4MUNY

MOZE4MUNY LawnSite Member
    from NW Fla

Nice looking truck. I prefer a "non-lifted" work truck though. Maybe I'm just getting old. If you're a young pup, loading and unloading fert bags, mulch etc won't hurt the next morning like some of us seasoned (read: rapidly aging) guys.

6. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Lifted trucks look unprofessional, as the others have stated. It just gives the customer the idea that you don't reinvest the money you get from them into your business. Sure many will say the customer doesn't care what the man does with the $$$ but some people could/would think that it is just plain immature.

7. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

That year GM truck had arguably the worst front braking systems on the planet. If you get 15K out of front pads and 30K out of rotors, you'll be lucky. Add the bigger tires and it will eat them even faster.

Just something you should know before making a purchase.

8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

The second problem with lifted trucks when plowing. Is the plow will not sit level when angled. Since the rear of the plow now sits 4 to 8 inches higher. So you have to modify your plow. Not fun.

Personally I would walk. I would look at spending $10,000 to $15,000 for a newer truck. If you want diesel its more of $20,000 or more.

9. LawnBoy89

Yea, after talking to my dad and looking around yesterday I probably will be walking away from it althought I think it is a pretty sharp looking truck for a pretty cheap price. I found a really nice 01 F-350, V8 (I think 5.4L gas engine) reg. cab short bed but they wanted 17,900. I couldn't justify or afford that.

10. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

Nice truck and there is nothing wrong with a lifted truck, i got commented on mine all of the time, it is my personal truck, i have 5 work trucks but i used my lifted dodge when needed and had magnetic signs for it, and yes you can plow no prob in the winter, i would know i live in 'ak
    AK Lawn