What do you guys think of this???

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by emil35, Feb 17, 2006.

1. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

I saw this setup for sale locally and was just wondering what everybody else thought about it. Think its a good deal, reasonable or too much?

Complete Two man Lawn care Setup (Asking $30000 OBO) will sell items separatly if offer made:

1997 GMC 3500HD w/BOSS Plow 9ft blade & flatbed w/ reg. reciever hitch & gooseneck hitch
    2001 PJ 18ft trailer (Black, tandem 3500 axles, ramp)
    2001 Walker 26HP GHS 42' Deck 9.5 Hopper, low profile tires (about 500 hours)
    1999 Walker 26HP GHS 48' Deck 9.5 Hopper, low profile tires (about 2000 hours)
    Toro Proline 21 inch walkbehind
    Echo 26 cc trimmers (2)
    Echo Back pack blowers (2) (higher end models)
    Tru-Cut Edger
    Misc. (Spreaders, hand tools, etc.)

Also had a 1999 GMC 3500HD w/BOSS V Plow 9'2 blade & flatbed w/ reg. reciever hitch & gooseneck hitch available, asking $15000.00 OBO

Both trucks had V8 454 engines, AUTO, and were in great shape.

I figured the setup was worth pretty much the price being asked. Everything is in great shape and has been maintained reg. by dealers/shops. Might look into picking it up and making it my main setup and selling off some of my older equipment, but since I'm going to be downsizing slightly for college anyways, it might be alittle too big for what I'd need. If anyone's interested let me know and I'll provide you with the guys info. Let me know what you think of it and if it would be too much for me at the moment and/or if you'll interested in it. Thanks for your input.

2. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

oh yea, all of the equipment has been recently serviced and is ready to go. Nothing wrong with any of it. What do you all think? I'm 50/50 on it....alot of equipment but would take up a decent amount of cash I had saved up for college for quite some time...

3. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

anyone??? yes, no, maybe? good deal/bad deal? :confused:

4. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

Doesn't sound too bad, as long as it all is in good working order its definently more than most start out with.

5. adam's landscaping

adam's landscaping LawnSite Member

just think before you leap. College is extremely important. You can make alot of money cutting grass, but I wouldnt tottally deplete my college fund.

6. M RASCOE&SONS

M RASCOE&SONS LawnSite Bronze Member

just say no!are you just starting out??

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, I don't think it's worth anywhere near that much for one, but for another you don't want to spend more than 5-10k starting out.

Here's a good read to set the first truck's price straight:
    Private Party Pricing Report - 1997 GMC, 3500 Pickup
    Condition Excellent Value $11,055
    Good $10,295
    Fair $9,340

Vehicle Details:
    Engine: V8 454/7.4 Liter
    Transmission: Automatic
    Drivetrain: 4WD
    Mileage: 80,000
    Trim: Crew Cab Long Bed
    Selected Standard Equipment:
    SL, Air Conditioning, Power Steering, AM/FM Stereo, ABS (4-Wheel)

Selected Optional Equipment:
    Multi Compact Disc, Premium Sound, Moon Roof, Towing Pkg, Snow Plow

Blue Book Private Party Value
    Private Party Value is what a buyer can expect to pay when buying a used car from a private party. The Private Party Value assumes the vehicle is sold "As Is" and carries no warranty (other than the continuing factory warranty). The final sale price may vary depending on the vehicle's actual condition and local market conditions. This value may also be used to derive Fair Market Value for insurance and vehicle donation purposes.

"Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks new, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. This vehicle has never had any paint or body work (whether it needs it) and is free of rust. The vehicle has a clean title history and will pass a smog and safety inspection. The engine compartment is clean, with no fluid leaks and is free of any wear or visible defects. The vehicle also has complete and verifiable service records. Less than 5% of all used vehicles fall into this category.

"Good" condition means that the vehicle is free of any major defects. This vehicle has a clean title history, the paint, body and interior have only minor (if any) blemishes, and there are no major mechanical problems. There should be little or no rust on this vehicle. The tires match and have substantial tread wear left. A "good" vehicle will need some reconditioning to be sold at retail. Most consumer owned vehicles fall into this category.

That's for starters, I think you catch my drift.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Not only that, but the truck has been plowed with...it has been WORKED and HARD. Also, has it not only been plowed with, but has it been plowed with - with a Boss V blade? That makes a HUGE difference on the wear and tear on the truck also. Those V's are HARD on a truck!

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

How many miles are on the truck(s)? You say they both have autos and have plows on them... Have the trannys and front ends been rebuilt? Auto trannys pulling 18 foot trailers= a LOT of STRESS!! Plows are also hard on the front end of any veichle. JMO!!! Any accounts come with this or is it equipment only??

10. The Cowboy

The Cowboy LawnSite Senior Member

If you were to buy separately you'd be better off. Buy a used truck, maybe ten years old or so and low mileage, then put a plow on it yourself.
    I got my 96 ford 150 truck for 7000 4 years ago and it had only 50K miles and never used for work or in the winter.I bought a chevy c-20 454 for 3800 with a dump, got a plow setup for 2000. Tandem axle trailer for 1300 brand new, weed wacker 250, blower 400, and 52" Exmark ZTr mower with a bagger new for 7200. Then I picked up a 36" w/b mower for 100 and put in 150 to get it in running order. Another 50" mower for $250. Another trimmer and blower would barely get you to $22,000. Almost all brand new equipment, except for backup mowers. I think 30000 is too much to sink into a lawn company right of the bat. I'd shop smart and build slowly. A used truck can be gotten cheaper if you look hard enough. I'd make sure one didn't have a 454. You need one for longer trips that gets better mileage. I get 18 on the highway with my ford, it goes a long way to saving money.