1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What do you guys think of this???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by weedwackyrizzz, Aug 7, 2006.

1. weedwackyrizzz

weedwackyrizzz LawnSite Member

I plan on starting a new business in PA. Plan would be to charge $28 bucks a lawn on properties that I chose by handing out flyer's at homes with no fences and about a quarter to half acre, it would be open cut and weedwacking. I have the money for new machines and will be doing all the work myself, I only want max 25 lawns. I know I will be low-balling the rest of my competition as I hear this is a real cut throat business. I know most of you will hate me for my plan but I really would like your response in kind words. Thanks. Oh and yes I do have prior exp in lawn care.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

28 X 25 = 700 a week about 30 weeks of the year = 21000 a year BEFORE expenses--- 1/2 acre lots
    If you truly have money to buy mowers -- put it in the bank and get interest.

You will probably be money ahead at the end of the year and you will not work 30 hours a week.
  3. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I like low ballers cause they go out of business real quick when they realize $20-$30 a lawn up to a 1/2 acre is not going to cut it.
  4. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like you are seriously undercutting yourself. i'd re-think it.
  5. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

the thing about lowballing is you also hurt yourself as much as you hurt the industry I would rethink this plan if I were you
  6. weedwackyrizzz

weedwackyrizzz LawnSite Member

Ok guys just so you know I'm retired from my last job and at 40 years old and in good shape. I just need some extra spending money and a job to keep me busy, as I already have an income from my last job. So I really don't see how I will be under cutting myself. Do you think I can get 25 homes quick???
  7. LawnmanJ

LawnmanJ LawnSite Member

Sounds Right to Me.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Yes I know you will get 25 homes quick-- At that price you will be turning away work.

But I will ask this of you. You need no money so you are doing this kind of like a Hobby --right??
    Will you pay taxes-- Will you have liability insurance-- Will you be fully licensed to do the work you plan on doing-- Will you buy the professional equipment that will allow you to produce the high quality work that people demand. Will you spend the time to maintain that equipment at the level it needs to produce that quality. Will you run your office as a true business?

If yes to these answers, you can not sell work at these prices.
    If no that you are not becoming a LCO but just another 10 year old pushing a lawnmower over grass.
    If no is the answer than I truly believe you will get very little help from people at this site.
  9. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

Why Do You Want To Screw With A Real Lco ? Someone Still Trying To Make A Living. If You Have Money Why Work, Go Fishing!!!!!!!!!!! What Are You Going To Mow With ? Are You Willing To Spend 20k For The Right Equipment ? What About Insurance ? You're Not Lowballing You Are Scumballing
  10. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

yea and we hope you get busted for not having a business license in your area if it is required and get fined. Also maybe you will damage something on someones property and since your not legal you won't have insurance and lose your house LOL. Hey it's ok you can say it we you need extra drug and beer money it's ok.