1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What do you guys think of this?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CF Lawn Care, Jan 20, 2008.

1. CF Lawn Care

CF Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Alright, so I have been thinking about starting a lawn care business with a friend. The problem is that we both are only sixteen and still in high school so we can only really do lawns on the weekends. He is on a tight budget so it will be hard for us to invest in equipment good equipment. Such as a riding mower. I am not going to buy anything until my friend pays his share also. I have more than enough money to start out but I don’t want to spend it until I am sure that this is the business for me. The reason that I want to share the business with him is because he is a great businessman and talker and a pretty hard worker. I think that he can get me alot of clients. My question is do you guys think that I should go on my own with a lawncare business? Do I really need him. I live in Maine so I think that having him would help such we live in such a rural area. Any people's thoughts on what I should do.
  2. squirrel19

squirrel19 LawnSite Member
    from KY/TN

Well CF, Starting a business yourself can be a challenge but to start one with someone else can be a nightmare. If you do decide to go in with him I would not split the cost of any one piece of equipment. Buy your own mower, that way if things do not work out between you guys he will have no rights to your mower. I would say go out on your own. I just never have liked the ideal of having to share my business with anyone. You can be a people person as well. Just go door to door and let the people know what you can do their job for. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

3. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

From what I have seen very few partnerships will last. There is always gonna be one that is the "boss" and the other is an "employee". The biggest obstacle for the two of you starting out will be the money. Who will buy the equipment, vehicles, fuel, and trimmer line? Are you gonna split everything 50-50? What happens when one has to do something "more important" on Sat? Is that one gonna get half of the days work? Are you gonna pay him at the end of the week? Is he gonna get half of what was done for that week? Some clients take their time to pay their bills- maybe even a month. I would say for you to be the owner and you hire him to work. This is just my opinion. You have to do what you think is right.
  4. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

wow that can only end badly. if you do it, expect not to be friends when its over.
  5. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Oh, yeah! that too!
  6. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Just Say No to partnerships.
  7. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I started at 13 with my best friend. By the time i was your age he was all but worthless and completly undependable. I bought his share of the equipment and was fortunate it didn't affect our friendship and he only wanted out, not a share of the business.

Do yourself a favor and go solo. You'll save yourself a huge headache and possibly even save a friend.
  8. corbster

corbster LawnSite Fanatic
    from OHIO

I see a problem already in your partnership Q: "I think that he can get me alot of clients." It's no longer about you or him it's about the Biz, and if he doesn't will you be upset?
  9. squirrel19

squirrel19 LawnSite Member
    from KY/TN

Great Point corb, He has already answered his own question in his question. When you already use the word "ME" instead of "US" then you already look at it being your business from the start. This friend might look at it as a partnership but you already look at it as being the boss. Not to say that you wanting to be Boss is wrong, just go out on your own, but I do have to tell you that you will NEVER be the boss. The customer is.
  10. corbster

corbster LawnSite Fanatic
    from OHIO

Nice, funny story ... was visiting an old friend (Jim) last year and LCO showed up, my buddy jumped up and said walk with me, we went to the back window and he said they never blow off the walks/patio. They (3 guys) finished up and we went out front as they were getting into the truck and Jim asked "Who is in charge here". The driver gets out and in a Manly voice says "I AM", Jim says well scooter your not "I am" and if you want paid for today work here, you'll blow off the walks/patio as discussed 3 times on the phone with your boss. (Jim was not belittleing Scooter, that's what his big boss/crew called him.) I thought that was brilliant.