What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mbella, Sep 23, 2005.

1. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

This week, we were capping a stoop. Normally, we cut the faces off of block, build a support frame and adhere the faces. However, this time I wanted to try something different.

We cut the faces off of Mesa block. Then, we held them in place and drilled through and into the stoop. We then placed adhesive on the backs of the face pieces and screwed them to the stoop with 4" masonry screws. We countersunk the screws about 1/8", filled the holes with paver adhesive and smashed rock face into the adhesive filled holes until full. It worked like a charm. We saved time in labor and the cost of lumber.

What problems do you guys see with the way we did it? The finished product looks exactly like the stoop in the pics. It's a different house, but the same development, same size stoop and the same products. It was just done a different way.

2. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Any problems with drilling them Mike? Did they crack or fracture at all while drilling or tightening the screws? This would be the only thing I could think of off the top of my head. If this wasn't an issue and it saved you time it sounds like you have a stronger hold on them with the addition of the screws.

3. mbella

Mark, no problems at all and we drilled them within the top 3/4" of the block. We drilled them as close to the top as possible so that the bullnose would help hide any imperfections. The face pieces were about 2.5" thick.

4. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

what do you charge to train an individual on the ins and outs of hardscape, Your stuff is alwyas right on! Serious I was gonna go get icpi cert. but hell what do you charge?

5. mbella

Drew, you don' want to learn from me. I am an impatient, demanding bastard.

6. mbella

Drew, you don't want to learn from me. I am an impatient, demanding bastard.

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Yep been up all nite with the baby, he's even repeating himself now :D :D

8. mbella

Yeah, my reinforcement, voodoo nannyMac hasn['t arrived. I'm fading fast.

9. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

Drew = no patients, no room for error, perfection all the time I want to learn how to do the real stuff.

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You have to have room for error and there is no such thing as perfection.It's fine to strive for perfection but perfection is only relative to who is looking at it at the time.Like take mbella's pics.
    The capping is what I would say a great idea and a good option to offer customers who don't want to rip out and rebuild the stoop.And look great.
    But in my opinion the stoop the walkway and the steps up to the stoop are too small for the house.
    Also the planting beds are not in proportion to the huge face of the home.The home overpowers it all.