What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Victor, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a friend that's planning on getting into the app business this year. He just tested for his license and was telling me that he'd like to get an HPS to not only pass out flyers with, but to do applications with this year. I told him that I'd highly recommend he start out with his Lesco push-spreader and use it until he's proficient with it, before he even considers using a ride-on like an HPS. My thinking is that it would be easier to learn how to do apps without burning lawns, using a push-spreader, than learning how to do apps on an HPS.
    Like those of us who've been in this business for any amount of time know, there's a learning curve to properly applying ferts to a lawn. The way I see it, you're always going to have those special situations though that will require the use of a push-spreader. I can't see any applicator looking very professional, if they weren't comfortable using a push-spreader.
    Just curious to see if others think I advised him correctly by recommending that he wait for the HPS. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I definately feel you should use a push spreader to start. The old "gotta crawl before you walk and walk before you run"
    There is such a different feel for putting down fertilizer with a push spreader than with a ride-on.

3. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

why doesn't he just work with you for the summer, then start next year when he knows what he is doing...and tell him to read, read dammit read. and not the manual of madden 07'

4. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

That's funny. I gave him the same, "you've gotta crawl before you can walk" statement you just mentioned Turf Hokie. While I've offered to take him out with me, he has a pretty hectic schedule between working full-time at his day job, mowing all of his properties and having several kids, so I don't think he'd be able to work with me much.
    Like I told him though, I think he's going to make some costly mistakes if he tries using that HPS before he's ready. His company is obviously his own baby, but I still want to at least try to guide him straight if possible because he's a good guy.
    I know he reads these posts on Lawnsite and figured that if he sees that I'm not the only one who thinks he needs to wait for the HPS, he'll listen. He's a great guy and I'm just trying to help him out.

5. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Vic,

You did your job by warning him, but it sounds like he doesn't have time to learn the ropes before diving head first into it. Like you said, there's probably going to be some costly mistakes, and after he stripes a few lawns or burns them, he'll realize his mistake and hopefully learn from it.

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

natt is right