1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dexter Church, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Dexter Church

Dexter Church LawnSite Member

Hey guys. I was wondering how much you would charge per cut? The property in the first picture ends where the parking lot is. (not the field) aaaaaaa.jpg

2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Want us to run over and mow it for you too? :)

Questions like this ("how much do I charge for X") is a recent trend at lawnsite I'd like to see reversed. I gladly give advice on a multitude of things here, but if you are either unable to competently appraise the time required to do a job(even after having the advantage of actually SEEN IT) , and set your prices according to your costs and desired profit margin, or you're just here trolling to see what others charge so you can win a bid, despite not having spent enough time learning enough about the business to even quote a property with confidence, then I think it's abusing the forum a little.

Why should guys who put in the effort to learn the various aspects of this business give that valuable knowledge away to you free? Maybe not having confidence on what to charge is a sign you haven't spent the time in the business required to take on this size of a job. Building blocks of knowledge are required for anything. Skipping past those little steps is just going to burn you later.

If you had asked "how do you approach pricing on a job like this?" or "what rules of thumb does one use" or "how much time do you allot for "friction" delays and unexpected costs, or something along those lines that showed you wanted to learn HOW, not just "how much", it might convince me that you are interested in lasting knowledge, not just in having someone here do your job for you so you can grab this account.

And before I get a flood of critics, keep in mind that when you complain about "lowballers" who steal a commercial account with an insane bid that is half the price of yours, this lack of knowledge is usually the culprit. It's not like they PLAN on going bankrupt by taking your accounts!

There are building blocks of knowledge. Baby steps to take. It's this desire to skip to the head of the line, paying minimal or no dues, that is costing many of us right now by damaging our image, and in every business out there is resulting in a nation of monkees who each only half-understand what they're out there doing.
  3. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

brucec32....could not have said it better!
  4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe in the 4-500$ a cut range? Its almost impossible to judge with google earth and it all depends on what your overhead is.
  5. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

How can anyone possibly know what size the place is? To the original poster you at least should include sq. footages? That is a baseline but even having the sq. footage is only a portion of the bid.
  6. S L C

S L C LawnSite Senior Member

AMEN!!!!!! :clapping::clapping:
  7. DixieFerris

DixieFerris LawnSite Senior Member

I couldn't agree more, enough with the maps and asking us to do your work for you.
  8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Do your own homework. These types of posts are getting out of hand.
  9. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

A lot of new people entering the field this year probably with layoffs and cutbacks. This is an easy field to enter but hard to succeed.
  10. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

Can anyone help me?