What do you guys use for poison ivy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brettmc, Jul 9, 2003.

1. brettmc

brettmc Banned

I have used Tecnu as post-exposure control for poison ivy with great success. Now that I have more yards, some days I'm working all day long. I think the poison ivy oil is setting into my skin before I can get home to use the Tecnu and I'm getting patchy rash. I would like to get some PRE-exposure poison ivy control to apply to my skin. What do you guys use to control poison ivy before you've been exposed to it?

2. ahah

ahah LawnSite Member
    from 5

3. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure what is the best for preventing poison ivy but to cure it, Zanfel is the best thing. I tried it for the 1st time a few weeks ago and it works excellent. Removed the itch and burn immediately and the rash was completely gone in a couple days. Zanfel.com has a pharmacy locator on it.

DWC

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Not bleach! :D I use an Ivy Blocker that I got at Walmart. It works quite well.

5. Nothing, I don't get it.

I do supply Ivy block to the employees.

6. wobblez

wobblez LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

we use "domeboro" it is a powder that you mix with water to make into a paste. it burns going on but will dry it up in a day or two. and it cost alot we get ours at wal-mart pharmacy you have to ask them for it they keep it with all the drugs behind the counter.

7. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I herd cow dung does the trick:D

8. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Tried about everything. Good old hot water and rubbing alcohol seem to work best for me.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I get it REAL bad. As a kid I missed a week of school a few times.

Now....

I just aviod it.

Thats what Round-Up is for!

Sure, I still get spots here and there, but nothing like I used to.

A number of my lawns have it growing in the LAWN area. Windy days are bad as the clippings (ivy and grass) get blown back on you.

YUCK!