What do you guys use to trim pom pom's, spirals, ect???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by j.p.landscaping, Aug 7, 2004.

1. j.p.landscaping

j.p.landscaping LawnSite Member

Was wondering what everybody's using to trim fancy evergreens like pom poms, spirals, ect... Saw a set of black & decker battery powered handheld trimmers at home depot the other day. Anyone have them?

Are there any special trimmers out there for these kind of jobs?

Thanks

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, there are.

My favorite?

Stihl MS 260 with a 16" bar.

Can you say, "BASAL PRUNE"?:D

Seriously though, if they aren't in too bad of shape, usually just Felco's. But then again, I don't have to deal with the damn things that often....

Dan

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I use hand shears, the kind that look like scissors, but are more heavy duty. The are made by Fiskars. I did a 6' spiral Dwarf Alberta Spruce in about an hour, charged $75. Topiaries are my favorite and I make a good amount of money of of shaping them. Seems a lot of people are scared to trim topiaries themselves.

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Yah, I usually use basic hand shears too. Seems to always work well. They need to be sharp, though.

5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Just remember that some of the tools you get at box stores are not the same ones you get elsewhere. Look at the serial numbers. At some you will see *****HD at another you will see ****WM. See what happens when it needs service.

.... you will also see ***WM on brand name computers at a certain store as well.

There is a reason these sell for less.

6. JimLewis

box stores??? HD??? WM???

Were you trying to respond to another thread? We were talking about shearing and pruning.

7. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

First post mentioned Black & Decker power shears from HD. That was what I was refering to.

8. JimLewis

Ok. So HD is Home Depot? Okay. Didn't know that. And WM is what? WalMart?

What's the nifty new abbreviation for Target? You got one for Costco? Sams Club? Lowes? :p :p :p

9. Paul Corsetti

Paul Corsetti LawnSite Member

stihl hand held trimmer, they look like a big sizor life time warrenty and rozor sharp 100$ a set