what do you have a degree in?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawnboy82, Jul 16, 2001.

1. hi all, i am going back to college in a couple of weeks now, and i dont know what i want to do. i was a landscape contracting major, then i switched to turfgrass management. now i am thinking about arborculture. what do you guys have yours in?
  2. curry

curry LawnSite Member

Mine is in Criminal Justice. You dont need a degree to cut grass but if you want to get one then I would go for a business degree because like so many people have already said in this forum, you need to be knowledgable about the business end of this field more than anything so you wont get taken advantage of. I put my way through college mowing yards so you can to. Good luck and work hard and you will get that degree.
  3. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

If anything, curry's suggestion is the way to go. A degree in business will be of value later down the road no matter what field you go into.

As for specializing in a field, ie. arborculture, turf, etc., I would suggest this. Find out what you really want to do first and then go to school. For some reason, it is pounded in are heads that you have to go from high school to college and make up your mind what you want to do at such a young age. I feel that idea is not viable. Not many people know what they really want to do when they are 18. I say, get a job first, in different aspects of the field, and then find out what works best for you. Then, go to school. I feel you will get much more out of a college program if you are going in with experience than if you are just assuming that is what you want to do.

By the way, I have a degree in Landscape Contracting with a minor in business. It basically covers a little of everything. Today, I wish I had taking my own advice and worked in the field more instead of going right to school, as I would of taking a lot more with me with my degree.

One way or the other though, getting a degree, whether it is in a job related major or something totally unrelated, can only improve your personal portfolio and your marketibility. I actually first started college as a Civil Engineer and put up with 2 years of advanced physics, chemistry, calculus, and who can forget that semester of computer programming using FORTRAN (some thing I hope has been LONG eliminated)...............After taking those classes doing estimates and doing office work seems like a joke. I will say however, I am thankful that I did though as it gives you a good perspective on what other people have to do and how 'simple' the number side of our business is compared to others.

College is a good place to learn 'where your place' in the world is. Some of the people you meet and the things they do will boggle your mind. When I get in a tough place, I like to think of the guys I knew who were computer engineers and the stuff they use to bring home with them. Compared to solving an equation that you need a full notepad to right the answer down on, getting the right pitch on a patio is a breeze.

You can always go back to school later on, which these days, is a must as things are changing so rapidly in our industry and competition is becoming 'smarter' every day.

4. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I have a BS in business, about 50-60 engineering credits to my name, and certification in Spanish.

But it's the real-world stuff that has been the most valuable. You just have to always be paying attention...
  5. neighborguy

neighborguy LawnSite Member

I have an associates degree in Business Mid-Management, Landscape/Horticulture (emphasis on Design/Build), and am now starting a degree program in masonary. In some way shape or form all three can be used on the jobsite. Having worked in the field for about 5 years now I can safely say that (in my opinion) that knowledge in this industry somes from about a 1/3 classroom knowledge to a 2/3 field knowledge. I learned the basic concepts in the classroom but the more usefull tips on the jobsite.
  6. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

my degree is in "hard work"... going on 25 years ,hands on experience in landscape construction.... never ,ever ,thought I would get into maintenance end of it...past 2 years have been a real learning experience. I always had to learn the hard way growing up. Not knocking school , as I feel it is the way to go ...BUT... I am getting sick of working with Landscape Architects that don't know s##t about the real workings of a landscape project. Fresh out of school but have never even felt a shovel handle.
  7. site

site LawnSite Member

Business Management for my head
    Stubborn father for work ethic
  8. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I got a BA in Business Administration, with a major in accounting and a minor in computer science. Keep your options open, you will want to change careers, maybe even several times during your life. ;)
    You'd probably better use Spanish as your language elective!
  9. kutnkev

kutnkev LawnSite Member

i hold an AA/BA in urban studies , and in economics from the
    university of the district of columbia , class of 89' (wash,d.c.)
  10. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

BS, Horticulture.

Jim L