1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What do you include in estimates?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by MudslinginFX4, Dec 2, 2004.

1. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm trying to help out a friend with some estimates and wanted to get all of your opinions on what to include. For me, keeping it real simple stupid is what I like, and what has worked best for me. I include 3 basic things on mine: date, description, and price. I don't see any need in giving the customer any more information then that, especially my hourly rate because if I go under the hours I told them am I supposed to refund their money? I don't think so! Here is a link of (in my opinion an estimate with WAY too much information): http://www.dmcorp.com/pdf/Landscape_LE791.pdf#search='landscaping%20estimate what do you all think of that? Too much info or just right? How many of you keep estimates plain and stupid like I do?
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

have a signature area for them. Also have a void in 30 days note. This will make them move faster and also protect you from them coming to you 2 years later wanting you to do it
  3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

but since it's an estimate can't you legally change your price if you wanted to? Especially if it was 2 years down the road? Even though all of my estimates have been pretty much exact to the dollar this year, couldn't I add some more money to it if I want to?... since it's an estimate? Not that this would be right though. However tiedeman, i do agree with you, and what you said. I am just stepping outside the box here.
  4. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

In our mowing days we would do an estimate with a signiture area for aprovel then we would re print the estimate under a different heading (all the legal mumbo jumbo was already on it.) and have them sign that. This way the saw all of the leagal stuff before agreeing to the estimate. Also you don't want to use alot of elements in it such as a edging charge, clean-up charge, this gives the customer more to pick at and say oh i don't need that. Also had a signatuer area for a co. rep to sign this way we always had the last say in weather or not we were accepting the account. ( covers our butt if they come to us with it a few months down the road wanting the same price)
  5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Here's my question: Do you just give them the estimate for what they originally asked for, or do you add extra services that you also do to the estimate? I've tried both ways, usually people don't bite for the extra stuff and I think it might just scare them away, thinking you want to sell them unwanted items. But if you just give them an estimate for what they want, then how do you upsell them on extras?