What do you know about land clearing?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by radracer, Oct 24, 2005.

1. radracer

radracer LawnSite Member

Thanks for reading. Any and all replies are appreciated. I was recently given the opportunity to bid on the clearing of .85 acre near Zephyrhills Fl. The property is fairly wooded but all of the trees that they want cut are under 6” diameter. Most of the property is covered with thick brush and palmettos (see attached photos). The property is next door to an acre of land with a house on it and on the other side it is woods, across the back there is a lake and across the front there is a dirt road. It is in the middle of nowhere so pretty much anything goes. I have done some decent sized cleanup jobs but this would be the biggest that I have done so far. I currently have 1 employee but for this project I will probably hire a laborer from day labor for a few days. I was thinking of going in with 2 brush cutters and clearing all of the brush first. While we are cutting the laborer will be piling it up. Then we will pick up all of the trees and logs that are already down. As far as the trees and palmettos go I was thinking of getting a mini excavator or a bobcat. But will a mini excavator tear down a 4” tree and can it dig up the stump and palmettos. Or would I be better off doing it manually? I spoke with the fire chief and he said that I could burn the debris if I had an excavator or tractor on site to help put it out if necessary. I have a price in mind but I would like to hear your suggestions of both price and method.

What would you charge for a job like this?

Is a mini excavator capable of pulling out the stumps of the trees and palmettos?

Is the mini excavator worth the price to rent? ($180 per day $750 a week)

To get rid of the debris would you burn it, rent a dumpster or would you go the landfill?

Note: If I did burn I would probably just burn the brush and take the logs to the dump.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
    Harold Burgess

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

No pics.

I would burn everything and bury the debri

3. radracer

radracer LawnSite Member

I had to resize them.

DSCN0067.JPG

DSCN0068.JPG

DSCN0069.JPG

DSCN0072.JPG

DSCN0062.JPG

4. olderthandirt

from here

if you don't spray or apply a root killer after cutting most of the brush would return, Why does it need cleared? It looks like you could fit a small dozer in there and take care of the job in 2 days. 1 day to doze it into a pile and then burn it and then come back with an ex and bury whats not burned and the debri. This would eliminate any employees and would about cover the cost of a small dozer

5. radracer

radracer LawnSite Member

The property is being cleared so they can build a house. What does something like that cost to rent? Thanks for the help Mac. Thats what I like about you, you don't play. Any thoughts on price?

6. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I would rent a larger track loader like a Bobcat T250 or T300 and get a root grapple to go with it. It will tear out stumps,roots and everything else no problem. I have never used an excavator so I can't comment on its effectiveness. With the skid loader and grapple you should be able to get everything cleared fast.The price of the mini X seems cheap. The track loader will be at least double the X. Burning is the most cost effective disposal.

7. olderthandirt

from here

D3 cat dozer with a root blade here is $300 for an 8 hr. day mini ex 13k machine is $250 a day and I would charge around $1500-$1800.
    Figure $100 an hr for you the machine and fuel

8. radracer

radracer LawnSite Member

I don't have much experience with big equipment. Does it take much skill to operate?

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Sub it out to an operator with a big dozer,what you save in time and labor you can pay him with and still make $$

10. olderthandirt

from here

If you can run a mini ex you canrun a small dozer. And this would be a perfect job to get the feel for one. None of the work requires finish grading its just push and clear. After an hr on a dozer you will feel comfatable with the clearing.