What do you know about small trees in turf???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ChicagoLawn, Jul 28, 2005.

1. ChicagoLawn

ChicagoLawn LawnSite Member

My question is, what can you tell me about the over abundance of small tree/ sapplings stemming from the soil around the outskirts of the main tree? I find these near Honey Locust and Cottonwood. It must be a symptom of the drought we had, due to it never being this bad before.

Can you prevent these?

What do you tell a customer with regard to these small trees??

Thanks in advance
  2. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

their lawn mower will get control over sapplings. after a few, or maybe several, mowings the sapplings will get so stressed that they will die
  3. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow them over each week. Broad leaf killer will also get rid of them.
  4. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Mowing will usually control them well even though they will try to continue to pop up from the existing host tree(s). You should never use a herbicide to control these sapplings, unless your planning to damage the existing trees which are giving these offshoots.
  5. ChicagoLawn

ChicagoLawn LawnSite Member

Is there a way to lessen or eliminate these small sapplings growing from the host tree in the first place?
  6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Pick a different tree.
  7. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

Both locust and cottonwood are notorious suckers. Both are grove trees and spread by sendingg out suckers from their roots when in the wild. They are trying to do that in your yard as well.

If they are in turf -- keep mowing. If in landscape beds you can use a product called sucker stopper rtu mfg bymonterey chemical.